We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review - Burlington

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review - Burlington

Stayed at the Hilton 10/1 and 10/2 for our anniversary, was not aware that it was UVM Homecoming/Alumni weekend etc.

Anyway, the Hilton was good, we had requested two queen beds, but the front desk asked if we could use a room with one bed and we said sure, the room was small, but nicely done. The hotel was sold out all weekend. After unloading, we decided to head into town. Tried getting dinner at a few places, but every pub tavern etc. that we walked by had a wait.

We walked by Das Bierhaus and noticed two seats at the bar so we took those. The menu, atmosphere and workers gave this place a great vibe, there was also a rooftop beer garden, but it was a little chilly. Anyway, great German/and other beer selection! Tried a cheese plate and a sausage sampler and several brews, including the Trapp Oktoberfest from Stowe.

After filling up we had asked the bartender for some advice on other bars and places to eat, wanted to try American Flatbread, but again could not make it in, so we walked over to the VT Pub and Brewery. We'd been before and knew what to expect. Walked to the City Market/Co-op to get some beers to enjoy in the room.

The next morning we walked up to the Farmers market, first booth we run into was selling pulled pork and smoked mac and cheese with bacon! sold...... Wandered around the farmers market, it was nice, lots of good food, artists and food vendors.

Walked down Church st. for a bit and did some shopping, decided to stop into Scuffers for a beer and an app. Bartender was nice, could hear the music outside being played.

Started walking back to the hotel and quickly peeked in American Flatbread, no line so we sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple beers while chatting with the bartender. The beers were excellent and they had a good variety of their own and other local brews.

Went to the concierge to get reservations for dinner, tried 3 places no luck, Alumni weekend has everything booked.

So decided to walk around and hope for the best, ended up walking by the Farmhouse, food looked good, decided to put out name on the list and drink in the beer garden out back until our table was ready. It was ready in about 30 minutes, and was definitely worth it. Menu features local ingredients, huge beer list, and out server was very knowledgeable about both the food and the beer. Had a VT cheese plate to start, we both ended up having burgers for dinner, but in all fairness they were the best burgers we've had. We had both tried to order other items, but they seemed to be running out of things, but thats ok, it was getting late, so I can understand that.

Last day was Sunday, one of the places we tried to go for dinner was the Single Pebble, we had noticed that they do Dim Sum on Sundays so we figured we would try that, it was the best dim sum I've ever had, beating out Dim Sum in Bostons chinatown....

Great weekend in Burlington, beautiful city, with plenty to eat and drink, nice people everywhere we went. Thanks for the tips!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review - Burlington

Nice report, thanks for taking the time!

I need to make Das Bierhaus a priority on my list, I have yet to get there.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review - Burlington

Agreed-Thanks for the report!

October is very busy in Burlington between college parent's weekends and all the leaf peepers descending on the area!

Am really looking forward to trying the Farmhouse - hopefully Fri nite - and will be sure to get the burger. Sounds great.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
907 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review - Burlington

You are so lucky to have gotten into Single Pebble. Sometimes you have to call weeks in advance to get a table. For my money it's some of the best Chinese food I've ever eaten.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review - Burlington

Re: The Single Pebble, if you've never tried it, definitely check out their Sunday Dim Sum Menu, we got there at 11:30 when they opened and there was only one other table there until we got ready to leave an hour later others started coming in.

Edited: 06 October 2010, 13:20
5. Re: Trip Review - Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Burlington