We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Burlington in April

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Burlington in April

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Burlington from Boston in mid-April for our first trip there. I booked The Lang House based on reviews on tripadvisor for 4 nights and now I'm wondering if that is too much time in Burlington. We both love being outdoors with beautiful scenery but also grabbing a bar stool and drinking some yummy craft beers. Does 4 nights seem a bit long to be there or is it so laid back we'll be glad we stayed?

Also, are there places to rent bikes?

Thanks for advice.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Four days sounds great to me. If you love the outdoors and love good beer, Burlington will treat you well.

The only problem is that mid-April is a tough time for outdoor activities in Vermont. Usually not enough snow for good skiing and the ground is too soft and muddy for hiking in the mountains. Certainly too cold for biking or kayaking.

It's definitely the off season for tourism.

In terms of beer ... check out the Vermont Pub and Brewery on the corner of Pine and College. Tons of great beer there.

Tons of other great bars in that area -- Red Square on Church Street, Three Needs on College Street.

There are many, many good local brews. Check out Swithback on tap. Really good.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Rent bikes at the Skirack on the corner of Main and Pine.

They'll point you to the Burlington rec path.

the NEK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Personally, I think with all the breweries and the beautiful scenery all around if you spend your entire time in Burlington, you'd be missing out.

Take a day. Go to Lyndonville, VT to the Trout River Brewery. Friday and Saturday nights they open up, sell their beers and serve some great pizzas. It is a great pub/restaurant. Nearby is a lovely inn called the Wildflower Inn. It sits high above at the top of a hill in Lyndonville. The views are spectacular. They have a great spa and many outdoor activities you could do solo or join a group. An EXCELLENT restaurant in the next town over (St Johnsbury) is called Elements or a cute little cafe in town in Lyndon is called Cafe Sweet Basil. Everything from the burritos to their signature dish, The Holy Basil, is excellent.

Burlington is great. The views of the lake are wonderful and you HAVE to have a Wee Heavy at VT Pub and Brewery (so strong a brew that they only allow you to have one per visit). But after a day or so, get out and see other parts of central and northern VT.

I hope you come back for another visit. There are lots of breweries in VT and you'll never hit them all in one visit. See this website for more info: http://brewersvt.com/

HTH :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Thanks for the advice, it's very helpful. I have been to Sugarbush, so have experienced some of VT. I'm originally from upstate NY and he's from Montana, so the weather in April will probably be fine for us to bike ride since he's one of those kooky people who can wear shorts at 40 degrees!

I am interested in driving to some other towns, so thank you for the ideas. I'm hoping for some clear nights and lots of stars to look at. Living in the city, it's easy to forgot what a beautiful sky looks like.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Being a small city- Burlington does have some light pollution.

The Alchemist in Waterbury is a popular spot to get a beer 30 minutes from Burlington. Waterbury, is en route to Stowe, and in a different direction, to Montpelier.

Middlebury is a nice small town to visit -1 hour south of Burlington.

3 days in Burlington as a place to discover and as a base work, perhaps the 4 th night discover Lyndonville/ St. Johnsbury.

The Burlington Bike path on the waterfront (Lake Champlain) is worthy of your consideration.

Sorry, these are disjointed random thoughts!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Pollution...? Really?? What? I guess once in a while you can smell a passing delivery truck... or some nice aroma from a restaurant...??

Genuinely confused.

:)

Edited: 03 March 2011, 23:43
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

I think he meant light pollution...as in there is lots of light (streetlights etc) being a city and its hard to see the clear night sky.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Thanks Vter. I thought it might be obvious from the post prior to mine what I was referring to, obviously not. Thanks again.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Yes there is Light (bright city lights) polution in Burlington that obscures a full sky of stars.

I'm awestruck when I go to remote areas of Quebec at the number of stars that can be seen versus back here in Chittenden County.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Burlington in April

Even 10 miles outside of Burlington, in certain directions, is an improvement and surely even Burlington is a vast improvement for viewing the night sky over Boston.)