We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I move to Burlington?

Duluth, MN
9 posts
Save Topic
Should I move to Burlington?

Hi! I'm writing from Duluth, MN. Born and raised here and looking to just up and move. I love the outdoors, camping and hiking especially. I have an interview at Fletcher Allen Healthcare this weekend. Is this a good place to relocate to? I have never even been to Vermont, but I'm ready for a move, just wondering if this is a good spot.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Hi there -

If you like outdoor activities, then the Burlington area would be great. Also, since you're from MN, you obviously don't mind the cold weather!

One thing to consider is that the cost of housing is high compared with salaries here. Not sure what kind of job you're going for, but this could be an issue. While you're here, pick up the Free Press or Seven Days and check out real estate listings. If you don't mind commuting, you can live outside of Burlington in the more rural areas for a little less.

Never been to Duluth, but I've heard that it's fairly similar to Burlington. Colleges, the lake, outdoor activities etc. Duluth is on my "to visit" list. You could also email the University of Vermont's athletic director, as he came here a few years ago from UMD.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Burlington is probably the best place to reloated to in the State of Vermont due to job availability. There is a nice array of jobs available as opposed to the the rest of the state where jobs can be scarce.

The Burlington area has so much to offer! Good selection of jobs in Burlington, Colchester, Essex Jct., Williston, South Burlington and only 30 minutes away in Montpelier. With Interstate 89 going right to and from Burlington it offers a wide range of towns to live in. Although housing is expensive right in Chittenden county you can easily travel 20-30 minutes away north, south or east and find nice housing at a good price. Burlington has great theater at the Flynn, tons of great places to eat, bars, pubs and just a great attmosphere.

If you are interested in continuing education there is UVM, St. Michael's College and Champlain College. All offer great graduate programs along with undergrad studies.

You'll be aching to hike, camp and just run to the mountains since you will have a constant view of Mt. Mansfield and Camels Hump right from Burlington. So many mountains...so little time:).

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out if you do move.

Ash

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

I've never been to Duluth, but I can tell you that there are a LOT fewer mosquitos in Vermont than what I encountered in southern MN a few summers back! That might be a welcome change for you. Let us know what you decide and welcome if you choose to join us!

Duluth, MN
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Thanks so much everyone! I leave Saturday for my interview and I'm very excited. What towns do you recommend for looking for affordable rent outside of Burlington?

Pittsburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Hi, I also was wondering the same questions as yourself. Please post your comments and discoveries for I am very curious and considering the move also. Any locals that could suggest what areas are more affordable? I live in Pittsburgh (Go Steelers!) and am a Nurse considering relocation also. Any direction would be helpful.

Thank you,

MW

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

As far as looking outside of Burlington for a place to live, first check out South Burlington, Essex & Colchester. If rents are too expensive for you, you'll have to bump yourself about 1/2 hour out of Burlington. Try Milton, St. Albans, Vergennes, or Waterbury.

Go to www.sevendaysvt.com and www.burlingtonfreepress.com or www.burlingtonapartments.net for ideas.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

If you don't mind a little bit of a commute try driving east on Route 15 towards Jericho, Underhill or even Cambridge. You get to around 30-45 minutes for a commute but you'll be living close to the mountains and it is a fairly easy commute. I used to live in Cambridge when I worked in South Burlington and it was a 35 minute commute summer time and 45 in the winter. Housing was very affordable. vter - those are great places to look for housing! Also, there are lots of condo complexs in South Burlington and Essex Jct. area that are very affordable. Check with some local real estate agents for listing. For the same price as renting right in Burlington you could have a condo 15 minutes away and be investing you money. Some local agents are Lang Real Estate www.langrealestate.com; Coldwell Banker http://www.hickokandboardman.com/TownResults.php?town=Burlington; Burlington Vermont Homes http://www.burlingtonvermonthomes.com/south-burlington-vermont-real-estate.cfm; This one has some cheap condos at the bottom of the page - one is in Twin Oaks, nice complex and right in South Burlington.

Good luck with the interview! Keep us posted.

Ashley

Pittsburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Thank you,

Some more questions I have for all.... If you had to describe the mindframe of a local "vermonter" how would you describe them? Also what are the pro's and con's of living in Vermont from a locals point of view?

Thank you!

Pittsburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

Hi,

I was looking to get an interview with Fletcher Allen also. Please let me know how it went because that was where I was considering employment.

Did they pay for your travel?

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I move to Burlington?

C.George,

Describing the mindframe of a local vermonter is a tough one. There is such a wonderful and wide range of people. Most have the mindset that they are lucky to be able to live here. But, most have to work very very hard to make ends meet. Pay is low in most of the state. There are some very conservative pockets of the state, like the Northeast Kingdom. Then you've got Burlington that is mostly liberal. A lot of people say that Chittenden County isn't the "real Vermont" - but I beg to differ on that - but I can see where they are coming from when they say that. So I guess a generalization would be that Vermonters are laidback BUT some of the most hardworking people you will find.

Pros of living in VT:

Beautiful state, being minutes away from the mountains for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, etc. Also being minutes away from some body of water to enjoy. Neighbors looking out for neighbors. People generally friendly to everyone. Perfect temperature summers, enjoying spring after a long winter, the colors of fall. Letting your dog run around without having to hitch them or put them on a leash. Driving to work and the only light you have to go through is a blinking yellow light.

Cons of living in VT:

The COLD. Poor pay and expensive cost of living. Small towns where everyone knows everyones business.

Overall, I love it here. My only beef with the state if the lack of good paying jobs. But that is the nice thing about Burlington. Lots of good jobs - and if you are willing to comute you can live in the country and enjoy working in Burlington.

Let us know how things turn out for you.

Ashley