We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anything going on

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
anything going on

Hi,

I have a hotel booked but am having problems with the booking (read about it further in the traveling with disabilities forum if you like).

Anyway, we are planning to arrive on Sunday and depart on Wednesday. If our hotel falls through I'm planning to just go and check in somewhere else, but wanted to find out if something big might be going on that would mean rooms are at a premium.

Thanks.

ktown

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anything going on

It's probably because the fall semester begins shortly at UVM (and no doubt a number of other area colleges as well), so parents are in town to help the kids move in. On the other hand, we were in Burlington last week, and when we were checking in at our hotel (we had reservations), other people were being turned away, and the front desk clerks were calling all around town to see if they could locate accommodations elsewhere for people. It's a hoppin' place!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anything going on

Burlington hotel rooms are generally very high-priced, esp. in the summer, because demand outstrips supply.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anything going on

Yes, I've quickly looked back at some of my other choices before I made the mistake of booking with Motel 6, and they are not available now.

ktown

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anything going on

This coming Sunday? There is a huge national qualifier triathlon going on this weekend which is probably why you are having a hard time finding rooms.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 16:07
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anything going on

Ouch!

I just saw a news report about the USA Triathlon, 2,500 athletes have booked every room in the area. So yeah, aside from the general lack of supply, there *is* indeed something big going on this weekend.

Burlington VT
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anything going on

What a great event the triathalon was. VERY cool. Tons of people indeed, and was great to see all the competitors of all ages. :)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anything going on

The USA Triathalon Age Group National Championship will return to Burlington in 2012 as well!

8. Re: anything going on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:17