We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

We are driving in the late afternoon early evening so would probably need to avoid the ferries. We would like to use ferry on day trip home. Any advice on the routes?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

I presume you want to take the ferry home for "scenic" reasons, because unless you time the ferry just right, you are adding an extra 20 to 40 minutes to your drive (depending on when you are going, and how many ferries are running that route at that hour)

With that knowledge, here's the route:

Rt. 15 west out of Jeffersonville/Cambridge.

Take Rt. 104 west to Fairfax/Georgia.

Take I-89 south from Georgia to Exit 17 in Milton.

Take Rt. 2 West to South Hero.

Take the Ferry Road (Rt. 314) to the ferry to NY.

From there, follow the signs to I-87 south.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 22:12
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

From the NYC area, the fastest route is to get to I-91 in Conn. north, to I-89 north. (You can decide how best to get to I-91.... Some parts of I-95 and the I-95/I-91 junction area can get congested at rush hours.)

Once on I-89, take exit 10 in Waterbury to 100 north, to Rt. 15 west. That'll take you to Jeffersonville, where you can take Rt. 108 to Smuggs. You can see the route and get mileages from 'directions' on google maps.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 22:43
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

Thank you - yes for 'scenic reasons'!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

Thank you

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

Hi Andy, I'm a business owner in the area, so I may be biased, but I think that Chris & Liz are right on with their recommendation.

Another possible way to go that will give you another scenic option is to take Exit #8 off of Rt. 89 North. That will take you through the VT capital city of Montpelier, VT. The state house in Montpelier is a nice stop (and one of the oldest in the US). There are also some terrific lunch/brunch stops in Montpelier. The New England Culinary Institute has a great restaurant in Montpelier called, La Brioche (http://www.neci.edu/labrioche/index)...worth stopping.

If you stay on Rt 12 you can drive through Morrisville Rt 12 to Rt 15 and then to Jeffersonville and to Smuggs. You'll pass several quaint VT towns and really get a flavor for rural VT. You'll miss Rt. 100 through Stowe all together, but the Rt 12 trip is also nice. The State Park in Elmore, VT is a good stop by the lake.

During the winter months, the "notch" road (Rt 108) between Stowe and Smuggs is closed, it opens again in the spring (usually April). Google maps is a great place to see the route in detail.

Have fun!

Caroline

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

Thanks

7. Re: driving to Smugglers Notch from Northern NJ-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:21