We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbus Day Weekend

Long Island
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Columbus Day Weekend

I want to go to Vermont for Columbus Day weekend. Unfortunately, I waited to long to book a place to stay and most places are booked. I was hoping to go to Burlington. What other areas should I be looking at for lodging?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

As you are finding out, Columbus Day Weekend is THE BUSIEST weekend of the year for tourism in Vermont.

That said...did you try Burlington's suburbs? South Burlington, Colchester, Shelburne and Williston all have hotel/motels, mostly chains.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

And look for B&Bs in those same areas, and the towns of Jericho, Underhill, Richmond, or Waterbury. All quite beautiful at foliage season.

Waterbury and Stowe have a bunch of medium-sized hotels and motels too, which are well worth looking into. (The Golden Eagle in Stowe is our fav.)

Long Island
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

I tried Shelburne, Colchester and South Burlington - all sold out. I will try the other areas suggested.

Thanks!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

although you'd have to drive back a forth...I'm betting you could find a place to stay across Lake Champlain. I don't why, but New York State isn't as busy on that weekend as Vermont. Two pluses about this option, first the leaves are beautiful in New York too, and second the ferry ride across the lake to Burlington can be so much fun.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

kayak.com shows a couple of places with rooms available,

Comfort Inn, The Essex Resort, Sheraton

Long Island
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

I saw some rooms available in St. Albans. Anyone know the area?

Long Island
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

I will double check kayak. Last night when I checked it looked like rooms were available but when you clicked through, they weren't. There were also some rooms on Hotwire, but I'm a bit nervous about booking the "unknown" ya know?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

St. Albans is 30 minutes north of Burlington. A gritty, hardscrabble, down on its luck town. Avoid if possible.

Comfort Inn,Essex Resort and Sheraton are all good options. Essex Resort is especially nice, but not near downtown Burlington, 15 minutes drive.

Long Island
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbus Day Weekend

Thanks for the info.

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbus Day Weekend