We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington

Brandon, FL USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington

Hello! My husband and I are planning a trip to Vermont (Sept. 29 - October 7th) We fly in to Burlington late on the 29th - So, Saturday, Sept. 30th we have most of the day to explore Burlington....

We've heard to go to the Waterfront - That there is some shopping there and some restrurants? What do you all recommend? Where is a good place to have lunch? We were also thinking about heading down to Magic Hat Brewery? Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

We have to leave Burlington area probably around 4pm to get up to Smugglers Notch to check-in for the week.

Thanks!!!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington

Church Street is a pedestrian mall. It's really one of the nicest things about Burlingon -- and it's close to the waterfront.

There are a number of great restaurants in that area. American Flatbread has a uniquely Vermont feel. They serve some amazing pizza ( I think that they are actually on St. Paul Street but it's all easy to find -- just ask around a little.)

Miguel's is right on Church Street. They have some very good Mexican food.

The Five Spice Cafe is a Burlington institution -- It's a really great little Asian restaurant.

I've never been to the Magic Hat Brewery but I'd like to. Sounds like a fun place.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington

As the above poster mentioned, Church Street is the place to be for your shopping needs. Definately second American Flatbread. We like the Rusty Scuffer, but it's a real locals joint and little rough around the edges, but the food is good and reasonably priced. Breakwaters on the waterfront is fun, although I'm not sure if they'll be open when you come. If you do go down to Magic Hat, there is a great lunch spot on the way - it's in the Gateway Plaza where Shaw's is. It's a place called Tommy's Grill and they have great mexican dishes, as well as burgers, sandwiches etc. Great sweet potato fries!

As for accommodations, most of the chain hotels are located in South Burlington or Colchester.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington

Not much at the Magic Hat Brewery for tourists, but you can get a fresh growler for the hotel.

Brandon, FL USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington

Thanks! Great suggestions!

We are staying at the Sheraton by the airport - is it decent?

Is it far from the Sheraton to the Waterfront?

Are there other locations of American Flatbread? I heard theres one in Waitsville? Anywhere else?

Brandon, FL USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington

My husband makes his own beer - So, he likes to visit local breweries when out of town... Any other good breweries in VT? or wineries?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington

American Flatbread is in Waitsfield, Middlebury, and Burlington. The Waitsfield & Middlebury locations are only open Fri & Sat nights. Burlington every day.

There Sheraton is about a mile to both the airport and downtown.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington

If you take Route 15 out to Jeffersonville (Smugglers Notch) you'll go right by the Boyden Valley Winery. As for breweries, there is one in Morrisville called Rock Art - they're a small operation. The Shed Restaurant in Stowe brews their own beers.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burlington

Tons of breweries here. See www.beeradvocate.com for more info. I think Harpoon has brewery near the NH border. f you cross the lake, we have Lake Placid in Plattsburgh.

burlington,VT
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Burlington

In my opinion, the best waterfront restaurant is "Taste". My family and I have had several memorable meals there - the most recent being last Thurday (6.8) during Burlington's JazzFest. Maceo Parker was playing 150 yards away under a huge tent and it was wonderful to listen to as we dined on the outdoor patio. They have quite a diverse menu and the chef is an artist as well (Taste is filled with his colorful creations). Their web address is www.tasteofburlington.com.

A great Burlington restaurant review site is www.sevennightsvt.com. Lots of reviews on there. Have a great trip! Burlington is a fun place!

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Burlington

My wife and I returned from Burlington on Saturday, June 10th and have visited it for about the last 3 years. The waterfront has a nice lake tourboat that's fun to ride on for about an hour. Up the hill from the tour boat dock is a seafood restaurant called "The Shanty" that we've had lunch and dinner at and enjoyed. It gets a nice crowd (seems mostly regulars).

I believe the Magic Hat brewery is on Shelburne Road, about 30 minutes from downtown.

We enjoy walking around on Church Street, a lot of walking mall shopping, lots of young college age kids as Burlington has a lot of schools on the hills.

We'd recommend a trip to Stowe which is about 45 minutes. You can eat lunch in the Austrian Inn up by the Trapp Family Lodge. It overlooks one of the valleys of the Green Mountain range. On that same trip you can visit the Ben & Jerry factory and get some real good ice cream. Smuggler's Notch is a short trip from the Trapp Family Lodge.