We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Will be in Burlington area 2 days. Found a nice place to stay in Shelburne that is reasonable, but will I miss out not being in Burlington itself? Burlington is pretty expensive. This will be in June. Thanks.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Burlington offers lots more stuff to see/do/eat vs. Shelburne, so it depends on what you'd like. Shelburne has the museum, Shelburne Farms, & is convenient to VT Teddybear, Mt. Philo and points south. It's a ~15 minute (non-rush hour) drive to BTV.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Will add that personally, I'd opt for downtown BTV, unless there are specific things you want to do in/around Shelburne. BTV is a nice walkable little city if you're staying in/near downtown. Of course, if you plan to drive around to see Stowe or Woodstock, or spend a day hiking... or other non-BTV stuff, then staying anywhere nearby is fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

I'm not really sure what we're planning on, other than the Shelburne farm and museum and seeing the lake. I am mainly interested in photography and being outdoors; I don't care about shopping or bars. Could you tell me what BTV means? Burlington something? By the ? Thanks.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

It's a short drive from either one to the other. In Shelburne you'll enjoy the Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms, both for walking and for photography. In Burlington, the waterfront. You can also take a scenic cruise on the lake, including at sunset.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Sorry for the jargon. BTV = Burlington (it's the airport code for Burlington). Sounds like staying in Shelburne will be a good option for you. Shelburne Farms & Museum could each take a good part of a day, and there are great photo opportunities at both - including great lake views.

The primary draw for BTV is convenience for walking around, browsing shops, pubs & restaurants. Plus the waterfront is superb, with a nice rec path. From your comments above, it sounds like you'd be fine staying in Shelburne and doing a side trip to BTV for an afternoon. Enjoy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Thanks. I think we'll do that. I assume there's parking near the town center if we drive in for the evening?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

Yes, plenty of parking. There are several large garage and lots of street parking in the ~6 block square downtown area.

8. Re: Stay in Burlington or Shelburne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 06:18