We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington Must Sees

Fort Lee, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Burlington Must Sees

I am from NJ.. I hope you can help me.

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Burlington area during mid Oct. We are going to my cousin's wedding in Norwich, CT so were thinking of going up to VT afterwards through Ma. (DH wants to go to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Ma.) We plan on staying in the Burlington area. Are there any must sees that you would suggest?

I went to that area as a kid, but it was in the summer. We were thinking of going to the Shelburne Museum and Farm, Ben and Jerrys, Cabot, Vermont Teddy Bear, the Ethan Allan Museum.. maybe eat at the inn that is related to the New England Culnary Institute.

We wanted to go on the Lake Champlain cruise, but it looks like it will be closed at that time.

Any other ideas? Any places that are great to eat in the area?

I think we are going to stay in the DoubleTree or the Sheraton since we have a ton of points for both.

I greatly appreciate any ideas you can give me.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington Must Sees

Mid October is a great time to be in Burlington and on lake Champlain. The most important tip I can offer is book accommodation NOW. Mid October is peak "leaf peeping" season and rooms sell out quick (if not already sold) Once you've made sure you have a room then we can help you plan. How long are you going to be here for?

Fort Lee, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington Must Sees

Thanks for writing. We are going to be in Burlington from Oct. 17-21.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington Must Sees

You've already picked out most of the highlighted "tourist" attractions.

The NECI Inn at Essex restaurant is called "Butler's" and it can be very very good, with a superb wine list. The service can be brutal however, with some of the most arrogant students "perfecting their craft" that you can possibly imagine. Hit Butler's on a good nite, and you'll swear it's the best restaurant north of NYC. Hit Butler's on a bad nite, and you'll just swear.

If you like scenic views, I'd urge a drive through Stowe/Jeffersonville on Rt. 108 thru Smuggler's Notch. You're already planning a B&J's factory tour, which is very near by....Lots of decent pubs and restaurants in Stowe.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
New England (VT)
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington Must Sees

Butler's? You got to be kidding... Don't bother-

Dinner...Joyce's Noodle House (essex jct), Taste (burlington- right on the lake, beautiful view, very unique offerings), Starry Night (romantic, ferrisburg) Sauce in Shelburne- most anything in or out of town is superior to the NECI machine...

Have fun! It's a great time of year in VT!

Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington Must Sees

We haven't been to Ben & Jerry's for a few years, but I have to say I found it disappointing. You watch a video about the company, take a look at the production floor from behind a glass window, get a teeny-tiny cup of whatever ice cream they're producing that day, and then get to go through the gift shop. Kind of short on the "wow" factor...

Vermont Teddy Bear Factory had some fun things going on -- a bubble magician, little playhouse, etc., for the kids.

Shelburne Museum & Shelburne Farms are definitely worth the visit. Also, if you're traveling down that far, don't miss the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vergennes.

6. Re: Burlington Must Sees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:18