We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest nice, big grocery store?

NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Closest nice, big grocery store?

Anyone have recommendations for a nice, large grocery store that's not too far of a drive from Smuggler's Notch? Last year, our GPS seemed to be of not much help in locating one. I'm looking for something more than the convenience store-type options available in Jeffersonville, but preferably not more than a ~30 minute drive away.

Thanks!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

There is a Hannaford and a Price Chopper in Essex and a Price Chopper in Morrisville. About 1/2 hour (or a little more) away.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 17:25
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

The Cambridge Village Market is the closest place that has all the basics, plus a top-notch fresh meat selection. It's about 15 minutes drive from Smuggs. The fruit and veg selection is limited, but has all the mainstays that will get you by for a week of vacationing.

http://www.cambridgevillagemarket.com/store

Morrisville's supermarket is ~30 min. from Smuggs, and the Essex Center one is 40 min.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

Thanks very much. From what I gather online, it appears that the Grand Union that was in Johnson flooded this past year and was not reopened. So it looks like Morrisville is the place to go. I appreciate your responses.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

I can confirm for certain that the Grand Union in Johnson closed after the flood and never reopened.

Movegas (Morrisville) has two nice grocery stores.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

Be sure to check out the Cambridge market first IMHO. I occasionally go there for meat, despite that's it's much farther than the local large supermarkets.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
6. Re: Closest nice, big grocery store?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 00:19