We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smugglers notch

Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
smugglers notch

Hello! We (myself, husband and 2 kids--8 and 10 year old) are planning a winter ski trip this year. We have never been skiing before but have really been looking forward to it. I found this place searching the internet. I had never heard of it before but it had such great reviews I had to check further into it. I was told by a couple of people that the skiing there just wasn't as good as Colorado skiing. The snow was "harder" "icier".....not as powdery. Harder to ski in....Is this true? We were planning on going Dec 9th for about a week. The representative with smuggs told me that the only things that we may not get to do is dog sleigh rides and ice skating. She guaranteed skiing, tubing, etc. Can anyone give me some help. We can't find a better price for skiing, lift tickets, lodging and ski school any place else.

Thanks

ally

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smugglers notch

Smuggs is probably a great place for never-evers. You'll be on groomed runs with snow-making, so the supposedly softer snow in CO won't be a factor. Great place for families and kids, great snow schools, all w/o the apres ski party atmosphere that emphasizes booze over skiing. Check out the 'Bash Badge' on the site for cheaper lift tickets, and discounts on rentals, lessons, etc...

https:/…pass-store.php

One great thing about skiing out East is that you don't have to deal with 11,000 ft. altitudes. And let's face it, in Dec., no one has great snow unless blessed by the snow gods. In UT and Tahoe, you don't get the good dumps until Spring. As long as it's cold, you'll be fine.

Besides, most folks find that 'powder' presents a whole new set of challenges. You want groomed courderoy surfaces.

I'll be there, so look for the guy in black that speaks Texan.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smugglers notch

Good morning Allynsteve!

Smuggs is a great choice if you have kids. They are a family resort! If you are a young couple without kids the place can be a real bore - but with kids, the place is perfect.

Their summer and winter kids programs are top notch - that is their specialty. You can get group lessons for your kids and yourself, or private lessons and I believe you can even get a lesson for the whole family if you want (but that can get pricy!) Kids tend to do better if mom and dad aren't around for the lesson. I don't know why but they seem to. Lots and lots of options for lessons.

The Village at Smuggs is nice. You've got nice condos, a few choices of places to eat, entertainment and an indoor pool and hot tub.

Snow on the slopes in December will most likely be manmade - unless it is a nice white December (which I HOPE that it is). I can't compare it with skiing out west since I have never skiied out west. But from what I have heard from friends as well as my husband (he lived in Colarado) is that if you can ski the east you can ski anywhere. The east has narrow trails and tends to be icy and hard where the east has compeltly wide open trails and more power/less ice. But we do get some nice conditions too - it's not always icey.

I would say go for Smuggs if you have a good price. It is a great family attmosphere.

If you do go to Smuggs try and report back. Would love to hear how your trip goes.

Happy Travels,

Ash

3. Re: smugglers notch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Jeffersonville