We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski resort in Vermont?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ski resort in Vermont?

Hi.

We are planning to spend ski vacations in Vermont since our main destination will be Boston.

My party is of three;My wife, our 11 years old daughter and me.

All of us are beginners ski level and would like to have recommendations about resorts in Vermont.

We like skiing but not as exclusively activity.We would like to hang out around , have a coffee , family lunch and so.

If the premises have sort of a village where you may have a little of everything it would be perfect.

Regarding lodging we would like something close to the village as we are not planning to wake up at dawn to be the first in lift lines.. We are not that kind of skiers.

We have heard about Stratton,sugarbush, killington,Stowe and Okemo.

Any help regarding this matter?

Regards,

Ramón

Venezuela

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

Stratton has the village atmosphere you want and good terrain for beginners. My children learned to ski there many years ago.

Okemo is in my opinion the best groomed of all of the mountains you mention and very family oriented. Due to its exposure, it is also a warmer mountain than Stratton. You can walk around the town of Ludlow (we had an apartment there one season), but there are not as many shops as in Stratton. We have skiied there for years.

One other mountain I would consider is Mount Snow, which my children also enjoyed when they were growing up.

Stowe also has a nice village you can walk around, but is a very cold mountain given its location.

I would forget Killington. It's more a singles scene, though of course there are many families too. When my son became an expert skiier, we made some trips there for the more advanced terrain, but you are not in that category. Also,I have always found it very crowded because of its proximity to both Boston and New York City.

I have not skiied Sugarbush, but don't think it has what you are looking for.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

I second the notion to avoid killington this trip. I think Okemo would definitely meet your needs, lots of lodging choices, and the ski school is very good for all ages. Your daughter may enjoy skiing with kids her own age at least part of time. Okemo is located in Ludlow, so the "village" is down the mountain from the ski resort itself (as opposed to right at the base lodge). It is bigger than Stratton, and has less trails, but many families are perfectly content with the choices there as well.

Regarding lodging questions--do you prefer ski on-ski off, condo rentals, house rentals inns, or full service hotels. If you visit each mountains website they generally have pull down tabs with lodging options so you can get idea which area has more available to meet your needs.

Happy trails!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

I agree pretty much completely with smcharrr's post. Stratton is probably best for your purposes.

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

Thanks For all your help.

I´ve been recommended for Stowe.Do you have any particular opinon about it?

Thanks in advance,

Ramón

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

I like Stowe better than Stratton. However, the village is not so compact. You will have to drive everywhere. Not far, but still need a car. If that is not a problem, then Stowe is nicer. Stratton may still be a little better for beginners, but not much.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

Since you admittedly are not hard core skiiers, one benefit of Stratton is that it is not far from the town of Manchester(of course you have to drive there), which has lots of factory outlets that you might enjoy shopping at. The outlets are all in walking distance of one another once you arrive in town.

If that is not a consideration, then Stowe is certainly a beautiful area with some nice beginner trails. But you definitely need a car to get around, as someone else has said.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

For information Yankeemom mentioned Okemo had less trails than Stratton. This is not the case. According to both resorts reports for today the info is as follows.

Okemo 106 trails, 14 lifts and 589 acres of terrain

Stratton 87 trails, 9 lifts, and 568 acres of terrain.

Okemo has a enviable reputation as a family friendly resort - if you do go, get lessons at the Jackson Gore Inn base as the bunny slopes are gentler for kids and it is often less busy than the main base.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

absolutely correct. my hands went faster than my grammer or vice versa. Meant to say it (okemo) is larger than Strattion, which has less trails, but enough for many people. My teen daughter skis both, and prefers the variety of okemo, but is content at stratton as well.

9. Re: Ski resort in Vermont?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:18