We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my first vermont vacation help

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
my first vermont vacation help

Aloha,

I am so excited I am coming to Killington Vermont October 5th I had never heard of it just looked online we are flying into Rutland and rented a car and we are staying at the Highridge condos. I only hope these are really nice places we have not had a vaction in seven years and we want a really nice place and we are hoping we picked a good part of vermont to stay in to see the fall colors. We live in hawaii where there is no change of season. Does anyone here know if we chose good spot and a good time for the fall leaves we will be there october 5th - 13th I am really hoping someone out there has either stayed in Highridege condos or Killington it is not to late to change the condo if someones knows of a nicer place we want a kithcen and fireplace. We want to horseback rise and golf and Party it is just me and my husband

boston, MA
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: my first vermont vacation help

The time you chose to come is perfect. Although no one can predict when the fall colors will be best, Columbus day weekend is usually a pretty safe bet. Rutland is centrally located so you can always drive a little North or South to find the peak colors. I don't know about the Highridge Condos, but the area is wonderful. There is a nearby town called Woodstock that is just such a pretty 'New England' Town. Quechee gorge is not far away. They have a brand new visitor center there, which I believe is open. Also VINS in Quechee is a place where large wounded birds are sent from all over the country, to recouperate and live in a very pleasant surrounding. This is a great place to visit if you enjoy wildlife. Have a wonderful time, I think you planned very well.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my first vermont vacation help

Don't know those condos, but you are coming to central Vermont at the perfect time for fall foliage. I agree with Woodstock and Quechee as close-by and good places to visit from there. There should be plenty to do Columbus Day weekend and it's in a good location for one-day trips to lots of other places.

Enjoy!

killington, VT
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: my first vermont vacation help

From a local's perspective, Highridge Condominiums are some of the nicest condos in the town of Killington, but they are also some of the most expensive. They are not as close as Trail Creek is to the services/activities on the mountain, but they have a MUCH nicer Rec. Center with a HUGE outdoor hottub. If you are looking for peace and quiet, Sunrise Village is very comfortable, and has amenitites to match Highridge, but it is about 8 to 10 miles from virtually everything (except ski trails.) Sounds to me like you have planned very well. :) (Check out Chef Claude's Choices Restaurant for the best food in town.)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my first vermont vacation help

I have been going to Killington for almost 10 years and I love it in all seasons. The gondola at Killington is open in the fall for foliage viewing and is very romantic. It is enclosed so it's not scary at all. The drive to Quechee is beautiful. Make sure you stop at the Ice cream/fried clam shack on the way. (yes i did just say that). The Killington area is great for food and nightlife. I love the Grist Mill for happy hour. They have a large porch with rocking chairs and you can feed the catfish in the pond. Then you can go to Charity's or Casey's Caboose for dinner. Ask to sit in the caboose. you can also head to The Backbehind Saloon on the way to Woodstock. They have great food too. At night go see Phil at The Lookout or to The Outback for some great pizza and music, both are on the Killington Access Road. Our favorite breakfast stop is Sugar and Spice in Mendon. The absolute best pancakes and maple syrup around. It's a good place to go on the way to Manchester for some serious outlet shopping. Mancheter also has the Robert Todd Lincoln house which is beautiful. I also enjoy a stop at the Calvin Coolidge home site in Plymouth. Make sure you get some cheese there. Also, try Hemingways for a splurge dinner.

There are also hotels that offer horseback riding and boat rentals. Have fund and enjoy!