We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay skiing

Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay skiing

we are a family of five. two adults three teenagers from Ireland who are traveling to vermont in december for new year. We are hoping for lots of snow but not sure where is best to stay. please could we get some advice. We would like to stay somewhere lively , clean and comfortable.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay skiing

For a group of 5, might be best to rent a condo. All of the "livliness" is in bars/restarants that are mostly independent of the lodges/inns. Otherwise, try the Inn at 6 Mountians, or the Killington Grand - which is only a year or two old. In any case, the hot bars are the Pickle Barrel, Wobbly Barn and Night Spot, all within a mile or so of the main resort. Right after skiing, the bar and the main Killington base lodge will be jammed.

NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay skiing

vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/12853.h…

NYC
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay skiing

Hi Derravaragh,

I've been to Killington dozens of times, you'll have a great time. The town isn't your typical picturesque Vermont town, but it has lots of fun restaurants (personal faves are Ppeppers and the Wobbly Barn. The latter is a must but has looong waits on Friday and Saturday nights).

Anyhoo, back to you question, here's a few places I've stayed:

- Mountain Green - http://www.mtgreen.com/ - nice condos, very close to the mountain with a shuttle bus if you don't feel like walking. Fun places with kids, game room, pool. Nice quality.

- Whiffletree condos - skihills.com/p2-r163/b1643_Whiffletree.html - Not as nice as Mountain Green and a little further away. Also, lacks the ambience of MG, no pool, no common areas. But perfectly nice condos, and cheaper.

- Killington Grand - if you're going to splurge, this would be the place. The most "resort-y" of the bunch, right at the base of the mountain, a little removed from the action on the access road

- Happy Bear Motel - http://www.happybearmotel.com/home.html - no frills motel, but right in the middle of everything. One of the cheaper options but still not super cheap.

- Telemark Village condos - wisevacations.com/site/… - my personal favorite place to stay. Really nice condos, a little bit off the access road, but an easy 5 minute drive to the main base lodges, or a 10 minute drive to the Skyeship base station (a great alternative starting point to park and ski). No game room or pools, though.

With 3 teens, I'd really recommend a condo, my choice would be Mountain Green or Telemark.

p.s. if you need a day off from skiing, try driving to Woodstock. It's only about 20 miles away from Killington, right down Route 4. It's an adorable town, lots of shops and nice restaurants.

la, ca
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay skiing

do not forget a stop to Mogul's Bar/Rest. on the access road, best ribs you'll find.

Rhode Island
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay skiing

www2.cyberrentals.com/VTKIL/AutiKIL.html

New Haven...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay skiing

i've had great success on cyber-rentals both as a renter, and as someone owning vacation property.

Best of luck, and enjoy Killington...its an amazing place for both skiing, shopping, and entertainment!!