We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

I'm planning a 4-day ski trip around the weekend of 10-11 Dec for 4 adults and 3 children aged 12, 10 and 6. We're mostly beginners. Will be driving from Boston so would like recommendations for resorts that are within 4 hrs drive that would be open by then. Bonus would be nice scenery and interesting dining options. Been looking at Okemo and Killington in Vermont and North Conway, NH. Any others i should consider?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

I know you are coming a long way (assuming you are coming from Singapore) but 12/10 is still a long ways off from a ski resort stand point. It is very early in the season and no place will have much open or be very busy. So, I would suggest waiting to the last minute to decide where to go. All the resorts have beginner programs but you will get bored very fast if there is only one run open. Pick a few places so when you get here or maybe a few days before, you won't be scrambling trying to find a place.

I generally find that Vt has better early season conditions than NH but I could be wrong this year.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

I agree with neslaw. You will have no problem finding rooms at a good rate that weekend. Wait until the last minute, and then decide. Also consider Sugarbush. I would go to Sugarbush over Okemo.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

Agree with the above posters. Killington has huge snowmaking capacity and generally takes the bragging rights for opening earliest and closing latest in the season... so they may have the most terrain open that early.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 23:44
Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

Thanks everyone for your posts. Good advice. Weather is not cold at the moment so most beginners' trails are not open. Will take a chance on a last minute booking.

5. Re: Ski Resorts in New England for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:19