We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Killington on January 17th. For those experts out there, what is the preferred route to take, 90 or 86? I was wondering if one highway would be worse than the other as far as driving conditions. Seems like 90 would be worse with all the lake effect snow but maybe someone on here could offer some insight.

Thanks

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

Google Maps says taking 88 is the same amount of time as the two other options you mention and it is even further south. You are correct about lake effect snow along the 90 route. However that time of year snow could be anywhere along your route. I would not drive on any road for a long distance if the forecast was for heavy snow. Watch the weather and choose your route based on potential for snow.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

Good advice NBPINVT. I drive I-88 often going back and forth to PA. It's the better drive then either I-90 or I-86. No toll, and very little traffic. I will warn you of heavy fog in the early morning, and if there is lake effect snow it can drop that far south. Just drive smart, and you should be alright.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

Hey guys I really appreciate the advice, I will check that route out.

As far as tolls, google maps is saying that 88 has tolls but maybe that information isn't correct. Either way I'll be sure to have cash on me, at least on the way up. Hopefully I don't spend it all on the mountain.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 16:58
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

About the tolls on I-88.

At the end of I-88 there is a toll both where you get onto a short section of I-90 just before Albany. You get a card at the both. When you get off in Albany, you give the card back to the toll both person. You don't have to pay anything.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

That sounds like the way to go, thanks!

6. Re: Driving from Pittsburgh to Killington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2012, 10:20