We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Which Killington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eagleville...
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Looking for which base lodge is least crowded with close parking, as I know each ski resort usually has one. Wife will be meeting me for lunch and coming from the condo, so don't want her to walk to far or have trouble parking.

Also like to cruise top to bottom, no bumps and like corduroy. Really will be all over the mountain, but any recomendations. Will ski the groomed blacks. No double blacks. Any general areas to aviod.

Also any finds for a resonably price dinner ($100-$150) that is actually not over priced. Happy hour recommendations.

Thanks,

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Morning Mahokid,

The Skyeship Gondola is the easiest to get to from the eastern side of Killington, as it is on route 4 and is only busy at the weekend, but it does have loads of parking that is rarely full, however it is near no dining options. In Killington it's self, Snowshed is probably your best bet, but where is your condo located as this could effect advice given. Most of the Killington dining spots are on the access road.

Bear Mountain could also be an option for a meet up but again no real lunchspots....

As to runs, Great Eastern and Great Northern fit your requirements.

Loads of eating places and do consider Woodstock 25 minutes from Killington (www.woodstockvt.com) which has an excellent selection of restaurants, and one of my favourite lunch time/dinner spots is Simon Pearce in Quechee and Pane e Salute in Woodstock village. If you are willing to drive a little, in Ludlow you will find Downtown Grocery which has been getting some interesting reviews...and farther afield is the Inn at Weathersfield where Jason the chef continues to notch up awards....

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Er, beg to differ on a couple key points, big nose.

Although, yes, I do agree knowing where the condo is can affect the answer. And the Skyeship base is probably emptiest, but not a great lunch option. I won't even address the dinner question unless more info is supplied.

For a lodge to meet the wife, Bear Mountain Lodge is closest to what mahokid seeks. Usually easy parking, and yes there are a couple dining options: one cafeteria, and one sit-down.

But, if the condo is on the access road, it might be best to go to one of the main lodges, depending on how far the wife wants to drive, and have her suck up the walk (which really won't be that bad anyway). Parking on the weekend will be bad at Snowshed, Killington Base Lodge, and Ramshead. Snowshed and KBL have the most dining options, with Snowshed having a slight edge.

Also, if you ski even "just" groomed blacks, then Great Eastern and Great Northern will bore you. Check out the daily reports on cable channel 14, or at the lodge. They'll tell you what has been groomed. I will say if you're uneasy about double-blacks, stay specifically off Cascade. Cascade is labelled as a double-black, but for some reason, people who really shouldn't get on it, get sucked into it all the time, probably because the beginning looks sooooo easy.

Eagleville...
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Thank you for the recommendations. Our condo is on Innsbruck lane and called the Killington townhomes.

We pack a lite lunch so it doesn't matter if the lodge has good food.

The Downtown Grocery looks great as we enjoy ecclectric food. As for any other restaurant recommendations, I have been in the fine dining restaurant industry for over 30 yrs and really like all kinds of food, but really hate over priced medicore food. Something unique and out of the usual is what we are looking for.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Downtown Grocery? Are you referring to the Killington Market?

"Really hate over priced mediocre food." Welcome to a ski resort! That's what you'll find! Seriously, even the better places are "over-priced", due to the economics of operating in a seasonal location. As big nose mentioned, there are better places off the mountain. How far are you willing to drive? Keep in mind the roads away from K are windy and DARK.

If you pack your own lunch, then the Skyeship gondola base lodge should indeed be the best choice, for parking ease. Still, not much fun.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Morning Rantipole,

As I mentioned Downtown Grocery is a dinner suggestion in Ludlow .

The Downtown Grocery

41 Depot Street, Ludlow, VT 05149

802-228-756

Most folks seem to like it by their TA reviews (me included) and I think it's worth the drive. Do check it out....

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Sorry, nose, I missed that mention somehow.

As a "regular" I would have no problem driving that distance. But I just want to make clear to Mahokid that Ludlow is a solid half hour away on mostly dark, windy roads.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
428 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Rantipole, you are right on! Especially about Cascade. It is by far the #1 slope where the patrol has to give taxi rides. Despite the fence and warnings at the top of the trail, the shallow angle drags in all sorts of unsuspecting skiers, and there's no real bailout. Double fall line, with a big curve in the steep section, and nearly always icy.

Groomed blacks...hmmmm. We're bump skiers and just about the only time we're on flats is to get to a bump trail or the trees. But, if I was solely looking for 'black' groomers, I'd start my day over at Bear (because those 'groomers' on Bear eventually bump up in places), and work the groomers on the Skye Peak area, then Killington Peak, Snowden, then finish with the groomers on Rams Head. Maybe 25~30 runs if you ski all day.

Although Skyeship base might be the most convenient (and also unattractive), for lunch I would suggest Snowshed. Around lunchtime, there's usually some people who've already left, and a primo parking spot can be had. The same goes for Rams Head; spots open up late morning, although there's better dining at Snowshed.

I can't fathom going all the way to Ludlow. That's 30 minutes on a good day. As a former restaurant owner, I think Countryman's Pleasure in Mendon has the best dinner in the area. I have no connection to the place beyond being a very satisfied diner.

If going to Quechee, the Parker House has far better dinner. Sorry, we are no fans of the restaurant at Simon Pearce due to how they've treated us in the past. We won't eat there, but we do keep buying their glass. In Woodstock, our fav is Bentley's.

Eagleville...
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Raining at The Beast, but got three solid days of skiing in and just went down the mountain with little or no game plan. Did like finishing the day doing straight runs on header. Would have loved chute, but not groomed and alittle bumpy.

Downtown Grocery was spot on for what we were looking for. Maybe just aliitle overpriced, but you're in a resort area that needs to make the money when they can. Service was excellent, Knowledge of staff was also very good. Food, not your ordinary mountain food. Will definitely return. Hopefully business is okay and will continue to be open. Nice wine and cheese shop across the street.

Thanks again.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

Great maho. So, where did you go in actual Killington, and how did that rate?

10. Re: lodge with less people, anywhere to watch out for

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:15