We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in LOwer waterford

las vegas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in LOwer waterford

I am planning a trip to stay at the rhi and want to know what there is to do in that village. Is it big enough to entertain us or will we have to go to a larger town? We are planning for august and would like some information on the area. Thank you

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Lower Waterford is a tiny village, so it is highly unlikely it is big enough to entertain you.

The nearest larger towns are St. Johnsbury VT and Littleton NH, but they too are small, though they have their charms.

Coming from Las Vegas as you are, with all that Las Vegas implies in terms of entertainment, it might be helpful to know what it is you wish to do to be entertained.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Lower Waterford is beautiful, but other than taking some nice leisurly walks, you'll have to head to StJ or Littleton for any kind of shopping/dining.

As mentioned in the previous post, what kind of things are you interested in seeing/doing?

One fun thing nearby would be to take the aerial tramway to the top of Cannon Mountain in Franconia, NH. Make sure you do it on a nice, clear day!

las vegas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Thank you both....So does Lower waterford have at least a grocery store and one restaurant? Are there any shops at all? How far is St J and The New Hampshire town? Do those towns have shopping and a movie theater?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Nope...nothing in Lower Waterford except the Rabbit Hill Inn which has its own restaurant and a couple of houses. St. Johnsbury is 10 minutes west and Littleton, NH 10 minutes east. You'll have to go to one or the other for restaurants/shops. I can highly recommend Elements in St. Johnsbury for a good meal.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

PS. Both St. J & Littleton have movie theaters. The one in St. Johnsbury is called the Star Theater, and in Littleton JAX.

las vegas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Thank you! Which town is the most charming, littleton or st J? Do both have equal things to do? We would probably visit only one. I am wondering if a week at the RHI is going to get lonly. I thought Lower Waterford was at least a main st. village but I suppose 10 min drive is not to bad.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

I think it likely that Lower Waterford is a lot quieter than you bargained for. And an entire week of it?

Are you certain you know what you are getting yourself into? If you were someone who was explicity and eagerly seeking a quiet place in the country to relax, read books, go for walks, I'd say you made a terrific choice. But it appears this is not quite what you are seeking, based on your posts thus far.

Littleton has a few more options than St. Johnsbury in the 'charm' category, but both are so close, I suspect you'll end up checking them both out.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

I love being in the middle of nowhere, but even I would get bored at the Rabbit Hill if I were there for a week! A few days would be great.

Littleton has better shopping on it's main street, but St. Johnsbury has nice architecture and a great art gallery and a natural science museum. You can certainly check out both as they are both only 15 or so minutes from Lower Waterford.

I would suggest staying at the Rabbit Hill for a couple days and then head to a place like Stowe which is much more developed (for Vermont standards) with restaurants, shops, etc.

las vegas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

Thank you all... We really wanted to go the most beautiful place in vermont. We had heard that the lower waterford area was pristine. Mabey your right, afew days at the RHI, we could move on to somewhere more exciting. Any suggestions besides stowe?

10. Re: What to do in LOwer waterford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 04:20
Get answers to your questions about Lower Waterford