We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions near Ludlow

Which Ludlow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions near Ludlow

We will be staying at the Jackson Gore Inn Aug. 17-24. We like nature spots, short hikes, vista points, scenic drives, and places not to miss withing a 40 mile radius of Ludlow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

There are three stae parks that you should visit.

Plymouth - on Echo lake with canoes and boats to hire, picnic spots and easy walks.

Wilgus - on the Conneticut river - great kayak trips!

Lowell Lake - with a very pretty easy hike round the lake.

Scenic drives up route 100, or through Weston (stop at the VT country store or playhouse for great theatre!) Grafton for the cheese factory tour in one of the prettiest little villages you could imagine, and Chester for the Historic Village Green area, Revoloutionary cemetary and Green Mountain Flyer scenic train ride to Bellows falls on an old 1930 train. Visit Woodstock and Queechee, hike the Gorge, take lunch at Simon Pearce overlooking the waterfalls and watch the glass blowing.

For dinner in Ludlow, Panarellos has great Italian, Sams Steak house do prime rib that cuts like butter, try to get to Mount Holly to Harrys great casual place with a varied menu leaning on Thai influences. You shoudl also make the effort to have dinner at the Weathersfield Inn - without doubt the best fine dining restaurant in this part of vermont.

There is lots more information on www.discoverokemo.org

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to help :-)

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

Hi BoosJersey,

Visit Woodstock!! Check out the town web site at www.woodstockvt.com and it is the only place in the US that you can walk from a village centre straight into a national park. You should also consider walking up Mount Tom,visiting the Quechee gorge and visiting Calvin Coolidge's homestead of route 100A north of Ludlow.

In effect take a drive north or south on route 100 and you will not be disappointed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

Thanks Innivc and DavidBignose for your suggestions. Sounds great. Will take your advice and visit those areas. If you ever vacation at the Jersey Shore or Atlantic City, feel free to get local info. from me. I am on the coast, 60 miles north of Atlantic City and ten minutes from the ocean. Best regards, BossJersey

Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

Also from NJ, we love Queechee Gorge, and hiking over to Buttermilk Falls with our 8 yr.old. Jackson Gore or Okemo has a hike on their MT. to some high point fire station lookout. We stay at the Jackson Gore Inn and will be there the week before you.

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
118 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

I'd agree with most of the posts.

Add White Rocks which is west towards Wallingford for hiking and a picnic; and Plymouth Notch off Rt 100 north of Ludlow which was the childhood home of Silent Calvin Coolidge. The town is like stepping back into history complete with the Coolidge general store, homestead, cheese factory, and a number of other buildings maintained by the State of Vermont,

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

We're leaving for Okemo on Sunday. The weather for skiing next week is a little iffy (maybe rain). I would appreciate any suggestions for other attractions/activities in the area at this time of the year. We'll be staying at the Jackson Gore base, so we have ice skating, the indoor pool, etc. I've read that this is the right time of year for maple syrup & my husband mentioned the maple syrup museum. We'll be travelling with two toddlers. Thnaks!

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

I have a cottage on Lake Rescue that I rent short term and always make a point of telling my guests about things to do in the area. Be sure to check out Bromley Mountain Thrill Zone,The town of Weston and their "Famous Vermont Country Store", Pico Alpine slide and Scenic chairlift, Killington Waterslides and Climbing wall, Quechee Gorge Village(about 45 min drive), Calvin Coolidge Homestead(up Rte 100 N to Plymouth), Vermont State Fair(end of Aug)and the Green Mountain Railroad.Check out their individual websites for more info. You won't be disappointed!

8. Re: Attractions near Ludlow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 05:24