We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Manchester

Hi all,

We are travelling to Manchester for the 1st time - any tips you can give me. . . especially about dining. We have a toddler - 19 month old so family friendly is a plus!

Any stores that are great or towns we shouldn't miss? I have never even been to Vermont before and am very excited!

Thanks,

Juliet

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Manchester

I'm going to be right up front and tell you that not a whole lot of Manchester's restaurants are kid friendly. Your best bet is Laney's where they will your toddler draw on the table clothes [heavy butcher paper and crayons] http://laneysrestaurant.com/ Other than that and the chain places i.e. McDonalds and Friendly’s, we're about talking sit down, children welcome, but not entertained plan to spend an hour plus eating places.

All of our towns here in VT are not be missed [but hey I'm little jaded]. A drive to Rupert,VT's Merck Forest might be fun for your child. They have a working farm, and lots of critters to see http://www.merckforest.org/

Chester,VT is nice little town for getting out a walking around the town green and doing a little shopping. Also a must check out store while in the area is the Vermont Country Store in Weston,VT. Weston is also a neat little VT town.

I think you really love our little state. Just a drive around on a few of our back roads can be a truly rewarding experience.

Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Manchester

Any restaurants you think we shouldn't miss? We have about an hour of good behavoir if we bring books and crackers - we always go early so we won't annoy anyone - and we don't want to miss a great place. I don't want to eat McDonalds all week - maybe once. . .

Thanks!!!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Manchester

I wouldn't want to eat at McDonalds at all. Here are a few of my favorites

Breakfast

The Little Rooster Cafe [they are closed on Wed] this is a tiny little place and if you don't get there early you'll have to wait for a seat.

Gourmet Deli & Cafe -I love their french toast. Also very tiny place, if it warm enough when you go ask to sit out side. Try not to get put in one of their booths, they aren't very comfortable.

Lunch and or dinner

Zoey's Double Hex - you will never have a burger in your life as good as they make here. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful the home made potato chips are. Dinner menu includes an amazing chicken pot pie. Save room if you can for a maple sundae.

Garlic John's - the best Italian and the best views hands down.

Sirloin Saloon - if your looking for seafood and or a steak this is the place. Plus the best salad bar in town [it may be the only on town]

Don't forget about Laney's - they have the best ribs, and I love their little brick oven baked pizza [chicken bar-be-qu] If they have their fried corn bread when your there get it, top with lots of maple butter.

Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Manchester

Thank you so much - you totally made our trip! We went to all of the restaurants you recommended and ate all of the things you said to - we hardly looked at the menus!

5. Re: First time in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:16