We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massapequa, ny
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester?

Staying in Manchester for 2 nights at the North Shire Motel in July. We will drive around and explore the mountains and small towns from there. Like the feeling of small New England town. Is Manchester overly busy with the outlets I've read about? Whats your opinion of this hotel?

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester?

NorthShire is a lovely place and the best part is that it's on the outside of town.

How busy Manchester will feel really depends on where you're from. Manchester really isn't a small New England village any more, but it still has some really cool shops and corners. The best part of your choice in hotel is how easy it will be to explore those other towns.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester?

Travelpair1,

Do take a trip up route 100 north to see places just off it like Chester and Woodstock and of course Weston which you will drive right through. Manchester to Woodstock takes about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester?

Nearby charming villages to the north of Manchester are Dorset and Pawlet(article in recent edition of Vermont Magazine) and to the south is Arlington and Bennington(which a large town or in Vermont we consider it a city!)

Manchester still has charm outside of the outlets---Hildene is a Historic Estate once owned by Abe Lincoln's son and Southern Vermont Art Center is a nice small art museum and there are several good restuarants and the Equinox golf course is beautiful and open to the public. Mount Equinox is right in Manchester-- there was a toll road-don't know if it is still open.

It is easy to get away from the hustle and bustle of the outlets which are on primarily on 2 roads, the rest of which are outlet free!

NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester?

My husband and I just returned home from Manchester (today). We go at least once a year and if I'm lucky, twice a year. I did notice that business in the area appeared to be less than in prior years. It could be the economy. Manchester is a quaint town and has some good restaurants. My favorites are Ye Olde Tavern and The Perfect Wife.

I hear the North Shire is very nice. We usually stay at The Palmer House. It is very clean and the owners are very accomodating. We like to walk to town and this motel is convenient.

As mentioned in another post, do visit Weston and Woodstock, if time permits. I think you'll enjoy each one for it's quaintness.

Have fun....

I love Vermont.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester?

I agree with vtt77 Ye Old Tavern and Perfect Wife are 2 of the best restaurants in the area. I also like Bistro Henry and in Arlington, th the south is Jonathan's Table, food is very good, the atmosphere is simpler than the food, but does not detract in a significant way.

Weston is closer than Woodstock. It has a Country Store with a nice restaurant and a Summer Playhouse theater in town- top notch equity actors from New York. Dorset to the north of Manchester also has a very good summer Playhouse theater.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester?

I just posted a question on the general Vermont forum but it was this thread that got me thinking more about Manchester. It all started with a special rate I found at the Equinox ($99).

But the Palmer House sounds like more of our kind of place and we like the idea of Ye Old Tavern next door! I see there is a "Manchester Center" and a "Manchester Village." We stayed in Stowe and Woodstock a few years ago and loved those two towns and would love to find a similar wonderful experience.

Thanks for any suggestions!

7. Re: Manchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 06:16