We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Washington, D.C.?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Washington, D.C.?

We're driving from Washington, D.C., to Manchester, Vt., on Sept. 10. We want to avoid the NYC area. What suggestions do you have?

Burlington VT
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

The easiest route is to take I-95 past NYC, then go north on I-91. That's a bit longer than the I-87 route up thru NY state (like an hour more), but it's super easy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

Take the tappan see to 87 to albany. Get directions to bennington and the 7 N to manchester. If no one fills in the blanks, I will do so when get home as don't want to give bad info. very easy .

Burlington VT
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

Agree w/ Neslaw above, the Tappan Zee bridge route is the most direct. If memory serves, is I-95 to I-87, there's a sign for the Tappan Zee Br.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

correction to my post. take NJT to either garden state or 287 (just about the same time but GS is a toll road) near Newark to I- 87 N, YOU DO NOT GO over the Tappan Zee, you follow the directions to Albany, then 787 to Troy to Rt 7 all the way to Bennington where you pick up Vt rt 7 north for 30 minutes to Manchester. I have always found this to be less traffic than going thru Ct.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

Agree with neslaw

6. Re: Best route from Washington, D.C.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:17