We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

anywhere warm!
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

My husband and I visited the Equinox at the end of July and absolutely fell in love with Manchester--so much so that we are taking our parents and going back at the end of this month! We're staying at the 1811 House this time, and would love to experience autumn in Vermont.

Anyone willing to share some local favorites for apple picking and/or foliage viewing? Pretty much anywhere within a 30min drive from the B&B would be great, or anywhere that's between Manchester and NYC (we can go on the way home).

And if anyone has a favorite restaurant, I would really appreciate some recs as well! We tried the March Tavern and Reluctant Panther last time. Both were great, but a lower price point would be appreciated =)

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

Not sure about apple picking in Manchester, but in Bennington there is Terry's Orchard on the corner of Route 7A and Houghton Lane, just south of Exit 2 on Route 7. Nice large orchard, the selection depends on what is ripe at the time you go picking.

There are a lot of restaurants in Manchester, what type of food do you like?

anywhere warm!
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

Pretty much any kind of food. We're coming from NYC, so I'd rather have something with a local feel than something fancy and/or generic.

anywhere warm!
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

Pretty much any kind of food. We're coming from NYC, so I'd rather have something with a local feel than something fancy and/or generic.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

For apple picking in the area NBPINVT has best suggestion. There is also a place just south of Bennington on 7A called the Apple Barn http://www.theapplebarn.com/ If your in Bennington picking apples there are several good restaurants on Main ST. If you want to see the view of the area from a nice high point also in Bennington and worth a trip up in the Bennington Battle Monument http://www.historicvermont.org/bennington/

North of Bennington and heading back toward Manchester, in Arlington,VT a trip down Route 313 west to the Rockwell / West Arlington covered bridge is a common stop for those looking for a picture perfect site [the bridge is closed at the moment do to the flood, but there is a place to pull off] Also in Arlington if your looking for good food try Chauncey's on Route 7A, nice family dinning.

In Manchester there are so many choices for food, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I will say if you feel like a burger you can't wrong with Zoey's Double Hex on Route 11/30. Oh and for breakfast I know everyone will tell you to go the Up For Breakfast on Main St, but let me send to the Little Roster Cafe on Route 7A, or even better for good old dinner breakfast out on Route 11/30 try Bob's Dinner.

anywhere warm!
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

Thanks guys, sounds fantastic? Do either of you have a phone number for Terry's Orchard? I'm trying to call for hours, but I can't find a website for them.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

It's just a small operation; I don't believe they even have a phone there! I believe it's open all day on weekends and afternoons on weekdays. I don't think they open if it's really raining out (more than a drizzle). Late morning or afterwards on a weekend is a pretty sure bet.

It's very easy to find: corner of Route 7A and Houghton Lane. I drive by there every day. If I am in town and you message me through TA I can let you know if I have any more info.

7. Re: apple picking and leaf peeping (& local food faves)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:40