We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

My husband and I will be visiting on Saturday for a one night getaway. We're staying at the Casablanca, looks super cute and got a great rate! So we were hoping to see some snow on the ground while we were there...what's the latest?

Where are the best places to buy maple syrup?

Does anyone know anything about the Little Rock Pond trail? We were hoping to hike it, but we are unsure how conditions are right now.

Thanks and we are very much looking forward !!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

We've got a lot of snow. It's been an ideal winter for outdoor activities.

Most all of the maple syrup you'll come across is made from exactly the same stuff. It's 100% pure. When you say, "best place" you might be refering to price. The closer you get to the producer, the better your prices are likely to be. A gallon of fancy should be going for about $50 right now. I've seen it as high as $80 in some specialty shops. I've seen it as low as $40. Check with your innkeeper. They will problably know a small local producer that they can hook you up with.

If you're hiking, you'll likely want some snowshoes. You'll be able to rent them in Manchester if you don't have any of your own.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

Hi Truman - thanks for your reply. We are glad to hear about the good amount of the white stuff. Sad to say that NY isn't getting much anymore.

And yes when I was asking about maple syrup, I meant moreso the farm stands or local producers vs. buying it in a commercial shop. We will definitely ask at the Casablanca.

We were also thinking about visiting the Falcon bar for a drink. Do you know if the firepit is open in the winter and how much do drinks run there? Would be nice just to see the resort.

One more question, besides skiing, what are some fun outdoor winter activities that we can do in Manchester? I'm not sure if we will hike since we are unfamiliar w the trails and if there is a lot of snow and I'm not a skier unfortunately. Thanks again!

conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

With the amount of snow Vermont has gotten recently a hike to Little Rock pond would be very difficult. I'm not sure if Forest Road 10 would even be open in that area. If you head out of Manchester on RT11 east, Taylor Farm in Londonderry offers great local cheese and syrup. They even have sleigh rides available.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Taylor Farm
Taylor Farm
78 Reviews
Londonderry, VT
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

There is lots of snow, and even better for you, it is going to be very warm in Vermont this weekend. So you kind of get the best of winter with the feel of spring thrown in.

I don't know much about the Little Rock Pond trail. I know that there has been over 50 inches snow in the Woodford area. If you want to get in the woods on short hike that of yesterday was a packed trail, try Equinox Pond.

Here is a list of maple producers in the Manchester,VT area. BTW if you go out to the Merck Forest & Farmland Center in Rupert to get your syrup, they can set up with a lovely hike in their woods.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

You can buy Maple syrup at the barbershop located in the mall with EMS. They had the best prices $45.00 a gallon, also had smaller containers but I don't recall those prices.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

Hi all --

Thanks so much for this wealth of information! We booked with Taylor Farms for the sleigh ride - seems pretty adorable! I was reading about their cheeses - anyone have a favorite? I saw they were known for their gouda cheese, the maple gouda sounds out of this world!

Vtmom thanks for the trail & maple info. How long do you think it would take to hike Equinox Pond? And would that also require snowshoes? We haven't done hiking in snow before, but if we could do that trail in a reasonable amount of time that might be a nice way to end the trip on Sunday morning. We were also thinking about going to the Little Rooster on Sunday for breakfast -- based on the reviews it seems Up for Breakfast will be too much of a wait for us.

Thanks again for all the info - I can't wait to get up there!

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

Vtmom is the maple link vermontmaple.org? I didn't see it on your post. Thanks!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

Little Rock Pond up in Dorset is a lovely hike but based on your comments, not for this trip. Come back anytime between May and November and you'll enjoy it more. Also, it's raining today, so some of the snow is melting and there will be some ice. Snowshoeing is great to try out as it does not require any special skills. You may want to visit Hildene in Manchester, Robert Todd Lincoln's house, especially if you've seen the recent Lincoln movie. There are some lovely grounds to walk around there. Merck Forest in Rupert is a fantastic suggestion for a stroll as well.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. We had a great time and loved the Casablanca. The innkeepers were very friendly and knowledgeable. The location is also great. We were fortunate enough to have a private sleigh ride at Taylor Farm, we had a great yankee classic dinner at the Ye Ode Tavern, stopped by the Equinox to see the fire pit, and yummy pancakes at Up for Breakfast. We also found Bob of Bob's Maple Shop on Sunday, he is on richville road and we can't recommend him enough!! We prefer buying directly from the producer, and we got to speak with him for a while about his process and such. Very nice guy - and we didn't realize it but Up for Breakfast serves his syrup. Got our discounted tickets for Hildene directly from the Casablanca, and we also really enjoyed our trip there. We are looking forward to a return trip - Manchester is a great town!!

Mentioned in this post
Taylor Farm
Taylor Farm
78 Reviews
Londonderry, VT
conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow on the ground in Manchester ? A few q's

I'm glad you enjoyed Taylor farm, supporting the local farms is a great idea.

Mentioned in this post
Taylor Farm
Taylor Farm
78 Reviews
Londonderry, VT