We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

Poconos
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

I can once again use some help in a driving trip

We are staying at the Equinox for 2 nights July 20 & 21

We would like to drive to Bar Harbor with 2 overnights ( maybe explore small village/scenic town on way ) staying in Bar Harbor July 24 & 25

We reserved the West Street Hotel in Bar Harbor

Then 3 nights in small towns heading south, to stay 2 nights in Boston July 29 and 30.

I have heard of a rt 2 crossing from Vermont through N Hampshire and into Maine, but unsure if this is a good route to wind up in Bar Harbor. If so, are there any small towns along the way to stop?

South from Bar Harbor, we would love to visit small picturesqe seaside villages and have heard Ogunquit and Kennebunkport may be good options?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

Rt. 2 goes directly from Burlington, VT to Bangor, ME - then it's a direct shot to Bar Harbor. There are many small towns along the way. It's a nice drive, - mostly 50 MPH, except thru towns.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

When you say The Equinox, I assume you are referring to the resort in Manchester, Vermont.

Route 2 is a good west-east route, however, from Manchester, VT you would want to drive North on I-91 to St. Johnsbury and pick up Route 2 there. Plenty of small towns along the way.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

Route 2 has some great views but passes north of the white mountains. I would turn east before that and drive through the white mountains rt 112 Kancamangus highway or rt 302 stay in North Conway then you can go north to rt 2 or take some back roads southeast toward the interstate near lewiston and make some time

South of bar harbor I would spend a night around penobscot bay, maybe camden. south of there boothbay harbor. portland is a favorite small city....enjoy some chowdah an lobstah

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

There are two main ways to go: the Route 2 possibility mentioned above, and taking Route 9 through southern VT to NH and then heading over to Rochester, NH and Sanford, ME to pick up Route 95 in Maine. They take about the same amount of time, in my experience. Route 2 is nice but fairly desolate. You will find more places to stop taking the southern route.

I would spend at least one more night in Acadia. There are tons of things to see and do there and it is a long ride for just two nights. You could easily take two nights along the way from Bar Harbor to Boston and still not be in a rush.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

Agreed re: spending at least 3 nights in Acadia and/or Bar Harbor. And though Rt. 2 passes north of the white mtns, it skirts just above 3 of the most impressive peaks - Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Adams, and Mt Madison. The views of these from Rt. 2 are superb, and there's great hiking for all abilities to some pretty waterfalls from the Appalachia trailhead, just east of Jefferson.

6. Re: Drive through New Hampshire to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:18