We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a great inn or hotel

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a great inn or hotel

On our loop around Vermont, in July, we plan on staying one night in Manchester. We would love recommendations on a hotel or inn. Not sure we would feel comfortable in a B&B. I know here we are in the land of bed and breakfasts lol. Also is there a downtown or village green to walk around? If not "downtown" maybe lodging with a beautiful view of the mountains? I looked at the Wilburton Inn, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $$$. Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

are you looking for great but cheap or just plain great? Equinox in Manchester. Newfane Inn in would you believe Newfane is not that far. Not getting one nite at a b and b anyway for the most part.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

Manchester has two village centers. The Equinox Hotel is located up on the hill, in the more residential old Victorian section of town. There are several hotels in the area. The Wilburton Inn is down the road from this area, and I doubt you'll want to walk from there. The other part of town in more commercial, although on a Vermont scale.

If you want to be in the middle I would recommend the Manchester Inn.

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

thank you for your suggestions. My husband had sticker shock over Equinox prices. Knew better than to have him help out with planning. LOL The Wilburton Inn has a 2 night requirement. The Inn at Manchester looks very nice. We are also looking at North Shire Lodge. The view of the mountains from North Shire Lodge looks beautiful. Have either of you stayed at the Inn at Manchester or North Shire? Since you both know Vermont so well I would like to share you our travel plans. Maybe you can give us tips or advice. My husband and i are flying into Albany, NY July 17 at 11am (closest airport for our FF tickets). We are going to take our time driving up to Burlington, maybe stopping at Middlebury for lunch. Spend the night in Burlington, still deciding on lodging. We are staying at Shire Riverview July 18 and 19 in Woodstock. Staying in Manchester the night of July 20 and flying out 6pm July 21. We love nature, historic sights and meandering down dusty lanes. Looking forward to photographing all that Vermont offers, covered bridges, quiet ponds, rolling fields, etc Would love to hear about "can't miss" sights. On our list is Stowe, Waterbury and Grafton. Do you have an "off the beaten path" road trip? We are planning on driving the route 100. Looking forward to our trip.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

The Inn at Manchester is lovely! Definitely worthwhile. A walkable area. They have a pool and a large yard and wonderful porch. You can open the windows or use the AC depending on the weather. (Be aware that some places in Vermont don't have AC because they don't need it often, but in July you might.)

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

NYYVA what is the view from the rooms? The mountains? Coming from the south where in July we are near or over 100 and horribly humid anything will be cooler. lol Our luck Vermont will have a heatwave.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

Wish I had more experience with lodging but just about always stay with friends and family. I try to get people to drive less and experience more. Plenty around Manchester from Mt equinox to hildene. Off beaten path. ..look up Groat pond. Take a ride up to Stratton. Follow road past resort and there is a swimming hole with water fall.may have to ask for specific directions because easy to miss except for other cars on side of road.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

If you type in the address, 3967 Main Street, Manchester, and go to street view, you'll see the mountain in the background, the yard, the street, etc. So what you see from your actual room window varies but it's in a nice location.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a great inn or hotel

While your in the Manchester area, if your looking for history, you'll want to check out Robert Todd Lincoln's home Hildene http://www.hildene.org/

When start back toward Albany for your flight home, you take Route 7A south. When you get to Arlington take a short side trip down Route 313 west for the covered bridge that used to be in Norman Rockwell's front yard. This bridge is part of a self driving tour, you'll find them listed here …about.com/od/…aavtbridgedrive_5.htm

Reply to: Looking for a great inn or hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted