1) Peruvian people and service staff are great- very friendly and helpful.
2) Scenery is beautiful, ESP in the Cusco area.
3) Food has been fantastic!
4) Taxis are relatively cheap if you negotiate fares in advance.
5) the hotels we stayed at were first class
1) Seems almost all tourists get sick during the trip ( ESP diarrhea- varying severity)- could be the food or the water. We were very careful what we are and drank but it didn't matter.
2) don't visit in the rainy season like we did
3) the trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu was terrible- taxi from hotel to train station, then bus 2+ hours to another train station ( why??? We were never told but assume that some of the train tracks were washed out ), then a 2+ hour train ride to Machu P. Puebla, then pay another fare to bus up a winding dangerous rode to MP. No fun.
4) carry your passport everywhere- they ask for it all the time
5) the airport in Lima is very busy, disorganized and hectic. Give yourself extra time (2+ hours)
6) drivers and traffic in Lima is crazy- like a roller derby or Ind 500 motor speedway