We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland by the Yard

Which Quechee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland by the Yard

Has anyone any comments on this shop on Route 4? Worthwhile, good selection of authentic merchandise? We're thinking of driving the 2½ hours from Salem, MA to visit Scotland by the Yard and the other attractions nearby. Thanks in advance!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland by the Yard

Nice shop, high prices.

But a day trip to have lunch at Simon Pearce and visit Woodstock in addition to SBTY is a nice jaunt.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland by the Yard

They have British chocolate and Irn Bru so in my opinion thats worth the trip :-)

But there are tons of things to do along route four anyway so do check out Simon Pearce, VINS and the gorge to make the trip worthwhile.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland by the Yard

Hi Man4pam,

As has been mentioned it is a great little outlet and you can get some bargains (I got a wonderful Irish hand knitted sweater for $35.00!) but you should combine it with a visit to Simon Pearce and also a wander into Woodstock. If you come in August you can also come to the Quechee highland games!!!!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland by the Yard

The Quechee games are great, but be prepared for sun with an umbrella, plenty of sunscreen, hat, and a jug of cool water, lemonade. Scotland By the Yard may also have a stall at the games.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland by the Yard

First and foremost: Thank you all for your responses...I was a bit concerned that a fairly "quiet" forum wouldn't elicit many (or any) replies. We've passed through and stopped at Quechee before and loved Simon Pearce, watching the local(?) kids jumping into the water to cool off and more!! The shop will be part of a now-expanded visit to the area.

sign: We'll certainly go into Woodstock as well. No surprise about prices- anything involving £/$ exchange IS!

Inn: Thank you for the VINS suggestion- I had to do some searching to figure out what it is- sounds lovely! We'll explore Rte. 4's charms and re-visit the gorge. A temporary stock of Irn Bru will be appreciated...I'm sure SBTY have to make a profit on the "not-so soft drink", no grudge against that; but, if you're a fan, did you know you can order it in the States? Even with shipping, in larger quantities, 16 oz. bottles can be had for UNDER a quid/per at:

http://www.irn-bru-usa.com/orderonline.html

Cheers!

Dave and weaver: We'd love to enjoy the Highland Games, thanks, but schedules prevent an August visit this year- maybe next. Perhaps, we'll see you at Loon in September: http://nhscot.org/

All the best, M4P

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland by the Yard

...well man4pam...you are a fount of useful knowledge and how come you know so much about Iron Bru?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland by the Yard

Dave: Lots of time in Scotland...Irn Bru with a fish supper, hangover cure- made from girders, you know!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland by the Yard

..and its well known that Irn Bru is an antidote to the artery hardening effect of Scottish "square sausage" - if only it fended off those Scottish midges :-)

Oh and thanks for the tip I didn't know you could buy direct. I buy my Irn Bru and Idris ginger ale etc.. at the British aisles in Nashua NH an online/warehouse food wholesale and pilgrimage destination for all expats!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland by the Yard

Who'd have thought that this would turn into the longest-ever thread on the Quechee forum ;-)?

Inn: Yer nae talking pish 'bout my beloved Lorne sausage, air ye noo? Ayrshire bacon, beans, tomato, a nice black pudding, fried egg, tattie scone, a wee slice of fried haggis, toast (one side only) and Lorne sausage...all washed doon wi' a Bru- that'll put a tilt in yer kilt to start the day!! Cheers, again, for the guidance and a smile or two.

10. Re: Scotland by the Yard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Quechee
Recent Conversations