We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

december package hol to stowe

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
december package hol to stowe

please can somebody help . i am looking for a package holiday from uk to stowe for myself, husband and seven year old son. any tips advice etc thanks

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: december package hol to stowe

Try:

www.stowe.com

or

www.gostowe.com

Good luck!

Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: december package hol to stowe

My suggestion is not to book in advance this year. Things are going to be quite bumpy here in the states with 4.00 a gallon gas coming, and my prediction is Stowe is going to be affected pretty dramatically.

We had the BEST snowfall ever, and there were still plenty of walk in rooms available on Christmas Week. That would be a first, but my suspicion is it won't be the last.

Stowe.com is a ripoff, and I don't recommend them as a service at all. All they do is book rooms, and charge the hotels a fee for that service. They don't even really know what hotels have what amenities (just ask them to discover that), so your best off calling the hotels yourself. You'll also usually get a better rate if you call direct.

Top 5 hotels for service and value...

Green Mountain Inn

Golden Eagle Motel

Season's Pass Inn (Stowe's Best Kept Secret)

Ye Olde England Inne

Stoweflake Resort

I include Stoweflake, because they're a reasonably priced SPA Hotel, compared to Topnotch, which is an even bigger ripoff than Stowe Area association.

All of these places have nice Holiday packages, and will be happy to tailor everything to your needs.

Be aware that Ye Olde England Inne, charges a fake "daily housekeeping gratuity" which the housekeepers never see, it's just a surcharge. They also fold the Breakfast cost into the room rate, which is 12 per person per day Ask them about that, and then ask the housekeepers what they actually get paid.

They're rates are still low though, so if you're armed with that info, you can do a little negotiating on the room rate :-)

Good luck!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: december package hol to stowe

There are a number of UK tour operators that do "package holidays" to Vermont including Virgin. virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/…

Its not such a problem to organise your own vacation sign up with BA and Virgin now to get special fare deals and then telephone the resort or Inn you are interested in direct to get the best deals - ask about ski and stay so you get your passes included. Car rental is easy (you will need a car) and the drive from Boston not too bad - even with great snow the roads are kept very clear - not like the gridlock that occurs in the UK when you have 1"!! :-)

Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: december package hol to stowe

Innvic is probably not aware that you can't book your ski tickets through anyone but Stowe Mountain Resort directly. It's been that way for three years now, so there are no ski packages like that available through the hotels.

You can book your rooms through Virgin though like he says, and that's probably a great way to get a good rate, but be aware that once you do it through a tour group, you can't communicate with the hotel directly about rates or anything really. The hotels are locked into a discounted rate with Virgin, for example and aren't allowed to discuss rates, or change the package once booked.

Also be aware that the hotels consider Virgin and other discounting groups "bottom feeders" and you usually get the worst room in the house for the money. I know this because I assigned the rooms for Virgin at the hotel I worked at last winter, and I was always instructed to use the worst rooms we had in the house.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: december package hol to stowe

If Virgin are allocated the 'worst rooms" as Stowe concierge says and you do want to book a package then look at some of the other operators. We work with a small UK tour operator and allocate specific named rooms based on customer request. In the past though I've contacted hotels direct by phone fax or e-mail, after booking package, and asked if possible to have a (for example) sea view room or King room and they have always attempted to accommodate the request if possible - this would be especially worth trying in early December before the resort gets busy (Xmas week) and you're left with Hobsons choice. If you feel you have been given an inferior room then speak to the tour rep/local office. If Virgin are putting substantial business their way then I'm sure they would be keen to hear of customer dissatisfaction....there are plenty of other Inns and B&Bs that would welcome Richard Bransons business :-)

P.S I'm a she - not a he :-)

Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: december package hol to stowe

My apologies Ms. Innvic, and thanks for the correction.

I really think this is a good discussion, because you are clearly an ethical service provider.

I am beginning to see some vast differences between the way you work with Virgin, and the way the hotel I worked for worked with them, for example.

Virgin strives to provide value for it's UK guests at a decent reasonable rate. The idea is that the amount of bookings sent offsets the discount the hotel offers the service for the bookings.

Thanks to Virgin, the hotels receive regular steady and guaranteed income, keeping the bottom line, just that.

I'm sorry to say that the FD manager at the hotel I was at didn't feel that way about Virgin or Travelocity either, and both she and the owner considered them a "necessary evil" their own words.

At that hotel there were three rooms that were substandard (smaller beds, third floor with no elevator or concierge service, just a shower stall in the bathrooms) the kinds of rooms that you would comp a tour group for the bus driver for example, and these were and are the three rooms that Virgin gets first, unless the hotel is completely empty.

I don't work at that hotel anymore, because they were unethical about a lot of other things too, but it's interesting that their biggest detractors on the hotel review section are from Virgin Guests.

Sorry for being so long winded, but Innvic is completely correct about letting Virgin to the plane tickets, and then use us in this forum to match up the proper hotel price and service wise for you and your family.

7. Re: december package hol to stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 08:41