We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a skiing challenge

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I need a skiing challenge

My sister and I just finished 5 weeks of boot camp and we both dropped 20 pounds. I've been slacking off over the holiday and I feel a weekend challenge of cross country skiing will get me back on track. A physically challenging, low budget, fun weekend is key. Please suggest a tour guide for nordic skiing, a low budget hotel, and a butt kicking workout. Thanks.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need a skiing challenge

Since this was posted in the Stowe forum, I assume you'd like to stay in Stowe? There is tons of different type of lodging in Stowe, so I'm sure you'll find something within your price range. I'd check out www.gostowe.com to get an idea of places you may like to stay and hten check the hotel reviews here on TA, or post back in the forum with more specific questions.

As far as cross country skiing, check out www.skivermont.com . This site will list cross-country ski centers in Vermont. Off the top of my head in Stowe is the Trapp Family Lodge x-Country center. Not sure if they do "tours", but you would buy a trail pass and head out on your own. You can also pay to have lessons if you have never done it before. Another great place to check out would be the Craftsbury Outdoor Center, which would be a bit of a drive from Stowe (45 ish minutes?) which is a great x-country ski center.

Hope this helps!!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need a skiing challenge

You can also stay at Craftsbury if you don't have your heart set on Stowe. And there are lots of other x-c areas in VT, it's just a matter of what you mean by "low budget" as that can be different for everyone.

I've never heard of an x-c tour guide, but most areas will have lessons. Contact them beforehand to set it up as many areas have small staffs.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need a skiing challenge

Thanks guys. I looked into the Von Trapp thing and that sounds like my best bet. I'm thinking we'll do a group lesson and ask about a challenging course and then head out on our own. I think this will work out great. I'm looking for a something like a holiday inn I'm thinking Riverside Inn or Stowe Motel & Snowdrift. Do you think the 3rd or 4th weekend of January would be good for skiing?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need a skiing challenge

Those weekends should be fine as far as snow, but the weekend of January 17th might be busier/more expensive because Monday the 19th is MLK Day, and therefore draws more folks to VT for the long weekend.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need a skiing challenge

Be sure to check the Golden Eagle in Stowe too, in case that floats your boat. One of the best cost/performance hotel deals there IMHO. Trapp is a great way to go (it may be expensive, but well recommended). Enjoy!

6. Re: I need a skiing challenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 01:18