We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

We love to hike but I am just coming off arthroscopic knee surgery. We will be staying in Stowe and we would like to do an afternoon hike with beautiful views that will not stress out my knee. Like an hour up and and one hour back with out too much deep knee bending involved. Does that bring anything to mind? I am really excited to see Stowe again. The last time I was there the Trapp Family Lodge burned flat to the ground - I guess that was in the early 80's.

NDG
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

The easiest would be to drive the Mount Mansfield Toll road to the "nose" of Mount Mansfield, though this will set you back $24. From there it is a 1.5 mile hike to the "Chin"; it is relatively flat across a ridge (except for crossing what I recently discovered were the "lips"), until just before the chin summit, though this is not a major hike up. Just about anywhere along the ridge has nice views towards Lake Champlain / Adirondacks, so you can turn around anytime if you need without feeling you missed something (though it is always satisfying to get to the top of the highest peak in a state).

Here is a link with some info. The toll road is open until Oct. 18. There is also a gondola that goes near the summit.

…stowe.com/activities/summer_attractions/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

Another option is to walk the Stowe Bikepath.

It follows the river, and it's lovely. No hills, lots of benches to stop and rest, and in a worst case scenario, you can stop near the road, and your walking mate can go get the car and pick you up.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

Two words: Toll Road.

I totally agree w/ JC. The toll road is the best bang for the time/effort - hands down. It offers the best panoramic views in the state at the top, and there are many trails of all degrees of difficulty to choose from there. This is by far the best hiking with views in the area if you want to do ~2 hours total. The easiest is the nearly flat ridge trail north toward the chin (the highest point in VT, at ~4300 ft).

One of my favorite trails from the top is the Lake View trail, which is a relatively difficult 0.5 mile loop to/from the ridge with some steep steps and scrambling with impressive western views alongside 500+ ft. drops. This isn't an easy walk, but it's short and has some of the best views around IMHO.

The rec path in town is another great suggestion if you want to look up at the mountains vs. down. It's rather well used, so you'll see lots of folks walking and on bikes/blades.

4. Re: Best bang for the buck hike near Stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 04:18