We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on March Ski Trip

South Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Advice on March Ski Trip

Hello everyone,

I'll be going up to Stowe for a professional conference in early March and need some advice. It will be my first time there. I'd appreciate some input on different points on planning this trip.

Accomodations: The conference is at Stowe Mountain Lodge. Should I stay there or are there other hotels/cabins/condos near that would be more economical but convenient?

Lift Tickets: Where to get the best rate?

Equipment: Best rate and most convenient for the area I'll be staying?

Dining/Nightlife: Is Stowe Mountain Lodge near walkable bars/restaurants/town area?

I appreciate your help.

-Anthony

Mentioned in this post
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Stowe Mountain Lodge
2,950 Reviews
Stowe, VT
port republic
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on March Ski Trip

If you can get a conference rate at stowe mt lodge, you won't regret it. the 4 mile mountain road from town to the ski area is lined with hotels, motels, condos in a range of price points. You will find what you want with a bit of research. there is the mountain road free shuttle so all of the dining/nightlife is accessable along that route, make sure you check to see how late the shuttle runs, I think it goes to 930 or 10 but it may cut back to 8pm late in the season. I own my equipment so all I can tell you is there are several ski shops along the road as well. the ski shop on the mountain, is on the mountain if you need equipment repair. check the stowe web site for ticket deals

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on March Ski Trip

Accommodations: Yes, stay at SML if you can afford it. It is on par with the nicest mountain resort hotels around the world, so definitely a real treat.

Lift tickets: "Best rate" is sort of an anomaly when it comes to Stowe lift tickets. In other words, there really aren't any deals. I think you can save a few bucks if you pre-buy your credit-card looking thingy online and "load" it with your lift tickets. But I don't really know, I stopped paying to ski at Stowe when the daily price jumped over the $80 mark.

Equipment: If you stay at SML, you will want to rent your equipment at the Spruce Peak base lodge. If you stay down the Mountain Road, rent at one of the shops down there to save a few bucks.

Dining/Nightlife: SML has a very good restaurant and bar, but as with everything else, it will cost a small fortune. I learned recently about the free shuttle and assuming it runs regularly enough without random detours off the mountain road, then it sounds like a great way to bar hop through the town.

Mentioned in this post
Spruce Peak at Stowe
Spruce Peak at Stowe
81 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Vermont
Level Contributor
363 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on March Ski Trip

Staying at the Lodge will be the most convenient and if you are planning on skiing too, then that would be the way to go. Rent your gear from the Mountain and that will also save you time and hassle. However, if you are here for more than just a day or two, you may want to at least venture down the mountain road to see the great shops and eat at the restaurants and bars. The best Apres ski scene is the Matterhorn.

Let us know what else you may be looking for and we can recommend accommodations.

4. Re: Advice on March Ski Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Stowe
Recent Conversations