We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active summer vacation in Stowe

cumberland, rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Active summer vacation in Stowe

I am looking to plan a last minute summer vacation to Stowe for my family of 4. We have 2 very active kids, age 10 and 12 and want to make it a fun, adventure filled trip for them. Aside from the recreation path, Bingham Falls and possibly some hiking, can anyone make recommendations for possible fishing, canoeing/kayaking, or zip lining adventures?

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

I would highly suggest getting up on top of Mt. Mansfield. Hiking the Long Trail up to the Chin from Route 108, on the left, just past the parking lots for the Stowe ski resort, would be my preference. It is very doable for active kids of 10 and 12, and any adult of average fitness can do it. But it is a challenging hike in that it gains a lot of elevation. www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/smuggstrails.pdf

Alternatively, you can take the quad or drive the Toll Road to almost the top, where you can then hike along the ridgeline, have lunch, enjoy the views. http://www.stowe.com/

Regardless, on a sunny clear day, you just cannot beat the views from up top. And I know when I was a kid, I absolutely loved scrambling along the rocky ridgeline (and still do).

I've heard of this place for zip line type stuff over at Smuggs, but no personal experience. arbortrek.com/zip-line/smuggs-stowe-vermont/…

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

Umiak does river canoe/kayak trips on the Winooski. I drive by there put-in spot frequently and always think to myself that I'm going to do one one of these days!

http://www.umiak.com/Summer/RiverTrips.html

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

Umiak also does canoeing/kayaking on the Lamoile River in Jeffersonville - very pretty and close to Stowe. I bet there's good fishing there, as well as in Lake Elmore and nearby Little River State Park in Waterbury. And... a day trip to Burlington to go to North Beach or other beaches on Lake Champlain (and/or canoe/kayak rental there) might be a nice side trip. Great sunsets from the rec path and beaches too.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 23:09
NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

You could try horseback riding at LaJoie Stables, in nearby Jefforsonville. We took a one hour trail ride about a month ago with our 10 year old son. We all loved it! It was a private ride with just our family and a guide. They have 300 acres with winding trails throughout. Beautiful views and a great time.

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

For kayaking, try the Waterbury reservior. You can rent kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, etc, by the hour. We've also done guided kayak rides with Bert's Boats, which was also great. Just depends on whether you would rather have a guide or not.

I second the recommendation for the top of Mt. Mansfield. Also, the Stowe Pinnacle trail is a good hike. The views at the top are awesome. It is work getting to the top though!

cumberland, rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions to get me started.

7. Re: Active summer vacation in Stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Stowe
Recent Conversations