We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Rhode Island
2 posts
Save Topic
Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Hello all. My family (wife, 5 and 2 year old) are looking to go skiing this winter in Vermont and are looking for some suggestions. We went to Stratton last year over the Christmas break and liked it but didn't love it. It was a little too ritzy with the designer stores and not to mention very expensive in all areas. Crowded too with many people from New York. Nothing against New Yorkers but there were a lot of people. We've always gone to New Hampshire places but we love Vermont. We like something casual especially the restaurants where the kids can be kids...and mom and dad can sample a few pints. We're looking for a mountain that is relaxed and easy going and very very family/kid friendly. No chain restaurants, just local establishments. I've been researching online and am looking for general opinions based on the above info. comparing say: Okemo, Killington, Stowe and Sugarbush. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. First time using this site. Thanks very much.

-Adam

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Killington will still have the New Yorkers. As the recent SKI magazine says, 'too many Joeys.' As I mentioned in another post, it's the only place I've seen a parking lot fist-fight in 35+ years of skiing. Great mountain at other times, though.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Killington will still have the New Yorkers. As the recent SKI magazine says, 'too many Joeys.' As I mentioned in another post, it's the only place I've seen a parking lot fist-fight in 35+ years of skiing. Great mountain at other times, though.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

I would suggest Sugarbush/Mad River Glen. The Mad River Valley (as the area is known) is very laid back compared to Stratton/Killington. Sugarbush has 2 ski mountains with lots of variety. Up Route 117 is Mad River Glen - a throw-back mountain wiht very little snowmaking and old lifts (including a single chair!). The place is gem and is my favorite place to ski. Sugarbush is much more modern.

The Mad River Valley has retained it's small town charm - some really nice restaurants and places to stay.

My next suggestion would be Stowe. It's somewhat Ritzy, but not on the scale of Stratton. It's a also a little more laid back. Tons of lodging/restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Consider Okemo in southern vermont www.okemo.com

Great location , well managed and great grooming, very family friendly and with lots of accommodation and restaurant choices close by.

Rhode Island
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it.

6. Re: Vermont Skiiing Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 04:17