We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving & Picnicing

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Driving & Picnicing

My wife and i are staying in Basin Harbor the last week of September. We want to take leisurely day trips to see the State and prefer to picnic (with wine & cheese). Do you have suggestions on where to purchase picnic supplies and routes that we should take.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving & Picnicing

I can definately help you with routes, but first, I'd like to know what your interests are. Do you want to visit museums, historical sights, etc? Towns with good shopping/restaurants, etc? Or, do you just want to take some nice drives to see some scenery? Do you mind steep, curvy, mountain roads? Dirt roads?

Regarding food/wine, you can buy wine in supermarkets. In Vergennes is a nice liquor store with a good selection. It's right on the Main Street. For food, check out Fat Hen in Vergennes, or the Middlebury Food Co-op in Middlebury, the Middlebury Co-op being bigger/more selection.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving & Picnicing

Thanks for the reply and information about Vergennes wine & grocery stores. We are looking for scenery, small towns where we can stop and walk around and/or eat at local restaurants if we don't find a place to picnic. Some steep and curvy roads no problem but we are driving a rental car so no dirt/gravel roads. We are driving in from Albany and thought abot going across to Brattleboro and up the river with stops in Plymouth and Woodstock on the way to Basin Harbor. We wouldn't want to take too long getting to Basin Harbor since we arrive on a Saturday at mid-morning. Does Bennington or Brattleboro have an easily accessable wine shop?

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving & Picnicing

On the way over into Bennington is a North River winery store or the winery itself just off Rt 9 between Bennington & Bratlleboro.

Been there done that.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving & Picnicing

Here are some driving ideas for you. One will take you on some dirt roads, very briefly. These are well travelled & well maintained, so don't worry about a thing.

Trip 1: Basin Harbor to Warren/Waitsfield and back. From Vergennes, take Plank Road (just south of Vergenness of Route 7) all the way to North Street in Bristol. Take a right onto North Street. At stoplight in center of Bristol, take a left onto Route 17. Follow Route17 through town. About 2 miles from town, take a right onto the road that goes to Lincoln (not sure of the exact name, but it's well marked). Follow this road up into the hills of Lincoln. Go through the village and start looking for Lincoln Gap Road on your left. Take this road up and over the mountain to Warren - this road is both dirt and paved at different points. When you get to Route 100, take a left. You'll see signs for Warren Village. In Warren Village, visit the Warren Store. Pick up some wine and a great sandwich from their deli section. You can eat inside, or find a place outside somewhere. Back on the road, take Route 100 north to Route 17 west. Route 17 west takes you up and through the Appalacian Gap. At the top of the Gap is a pull off area with nice views. Follow 17 back into Bristol. From this point, retrace your steps back the way you came via Plank Road, or take 17 to 7 north.

Trip 2: Drive up to the Charlotte Ferry (Route 7 north to Route F-5). Park your car in the lot at the Ferry and walk on. The ferry will deposit you in Essex, NY which is a charming small village. You may want to bring a picnic lunch, as I'm not sure about restaurants there, though I can tell you taht there is a good ice cream shop ;). There is a small park in town that you'll see when you come in on the ferry. It would be a nice place to sit and relax. Then hop on the ferry back, get your car, and back on to Basin Harbor. While in Charlotte, you could also drive up (or hike) Mount Philo which is located right off Route 7. Gorgeous views.

Trip 3: Take a day trip down to Middlebury. Nice shops to peruse. Then follow 7 south of town to Route 125 east. Take 125 east up to the Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. It's a nice walking path with Robert Frost poems on signs throughout.

Hope this gives you a start!

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving & Picnicing

Vter, did that Warren General Store thing. I'll vouch for that one, too. Great sandwiches. Your suggestions are right on the mark.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving & Picnicing

Thanks, sounds great. If you can answer this question please give me an opnion. Would you drive back in time to eat dinner at the Basin Harbor Club or go to Vergennes or Burlington where there are highly recommended restaurants?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving & Picnicing

You know...I've never eaten at the Basin Harbor Club...are you going to be there a whole week?

Definately make a reservation one night and eat at the Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes. It's excellent. I've also heard great things about Christophe's...also in Vergennes. We've never gone as it's a little pricy for us.

If you find yourself in Burlington, make a reservation for dinner at A Single Pebble.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving & Picnicing

We are reconsidering a whole week at Basin Harbor since we now realize how close New Hampshire and Maine are. The whole coat and tie thing at the Basin Harbor dining room makes me wonder how relaxed it is plus write-ups of other restaurants in Vergennes anf Burlington sound more positive than the food at Basin Harbor.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving & Picnicing

There is a casual restaurant at Basin Harbor called the Red Barn in addition to their more formal dining room. I've been meaning to get over there to try it out but havent had a chance to!

10. Re: Driving & Picnicing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Vergennes