We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activity suggestions for long weekend with 2 young children

cumberland, rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Activity suggestions for long weekend with 2 young children

My husband, 2 children (4 &7) and I will be visiting Waitsfield for 4 nights in August. I'm already planning to visit the Ben & Jerry's factory and Santa's Village on our way home but am looking for some other activities. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also thinking of doing some easy hiking/walking? Any good ones that a 4 year old could handle?

ny, ny
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activity suggestions for long weekend with 2 young children

Hi. We just got back from Smuggler's Notch. My 5-year-old son loved the Alpine Slide at Stowe Mtn., plus they had a bit of a "fun zone" with obstacle course, etc. I also saw a lot of families renting bikes just down the road to take the bike path through Stowe. Also nearby were horse and buggy rides. In Stowe, we loved eating at the Dutch Pancake House attached to the Grey Fox Inn.

We fished a bit on Waterbury reservoir and there seemed to be a place to rent canoes nearby. Looked like a great place to swim.

Of course, any of this would be a bit of a drive for you -- maybe 30-40 minutes -- but i know what it's like trying to find safe & appropriate activities for the younger guys.

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activity suggestions for long weekend with 2 young children

You should go to a few swimming holes on the Mad River, the Lareau Swim hole across from American Flatbread & Warren Falls are great. I have see very young kids hike up Sunset Rock (about 1.5 miles to a great lookout) or the Mad River Path Greenway for a flat walk next to the Mad River (swimming holes too).

Check out vermont Festival of the Arts website, there are lots of events happening. The Big Picture has first run movies & great food.

Stowe has a great kids park & it is a short drive.

Have a look at the madrivervalley.com site for more fun stuff.

Enjoy the Valley

Luke

3. Re: Activity suggestions for long weekend with 2 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Waitsfield