We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for an inn that offers PRIVACY

Which Waterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Searching for an inn that offers PRIVACY

It's our informal 20th anniversary this September, and we're planning to celebrate by spending a couple of days in the Waterbury area. We would like to stay somewhere that has personality and is set somewhere beautiful within the beautiful scenery of the area. (Originally were thinking of Thatcher Brook in Waterbury with its proximity to a couple of restaurants on our list, but are now looking further afield.)

My #1 concern is that we have privacy. We both prefer to keep to ourselves -- we are independent and do not desire a host who wants to chat us up or offer loads of advice. We need a space that does not feel like we're renting out a room in someone's private home (this could be solved by someplace being large enough with plenty of buffer-guests, or physical separation of innkeeper's living quarters from those of guests). I've been reading the BnB reviews extensively, and I start to get the willies when people gush about how the hosts treated them like long-lost friends. We'd prefer to have breakfast in privacy as well, without having to make small-talk with other guests at a shared table. It's our romantic 20th, after all, so others aren't invited! ;-)

If anyone has a recommendation, I would really appreciate it! We are open to areas that radiate from Waterbury -- Waitsfield, Warren, Stowe, Montpelier, Huntington, others?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Searching for an inn that offers PRIVACY

"Unintentionally hilarious" Montpelier:

Well, I hinted at it with respect to Charlie O's, the dive bar. Since you like "grit", it's a must for a late night beer. Montpelier at night is filled with basket cases, as a listen to the police scanner will confirm.

If you're lucky, you'll also get to see some of the political whackos demonstrating about some cause or another near the state house. Most of them are trust fund babies who never had to work for a living, and consequently they have the time and the resources to turn up on short notice for whatever the cause du jour might be.

And yeah, the Hope Cemetery outside of Barre is a must-see, too. My grandmother is buried there, so I've had many an opportunity to appreciate the beauty and occasional humor the cemetery offers. It's a remarkable place.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Searching for an inn that offers PRIVACY

LOL re: Charlie O's -- we'll have to stop by! Here are words on the place from a yelp.com reviewer:

I find Charlie O's to be totally hit or miss. Points for having live and local bands. Another thing is the crowd, all types are found here from VT politicians, culinary students, to back woods rednecks.

They have pool tables and good local microbrews on tap.

A good way to kill an hour or two on a Friday or Saturday night in "Mont -Peculiar."

13. Re: Searching for an inn that offers PRIVACY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 14:33
Get answers to your questions about Waterbury
Recent Conversations