We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Tipping Question

Which Charles City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south jersey
Level Contributor
239 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Tipping Question

Hello, We will be visiting the plantations in Charles City in the spring. We will be visiting Berkley, Shirley, and others. Is it proper to give a tip to the tour guides? I have no idea on this topic and would appreciate your opinion. Thank you, Murph

2 replies to this topic
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Tipping Question

I have toured most of the plantations in the area and have never tipped. I have never even thought to tip, since there is an admission price to each. I would be interested in what others have to say, since I have not seen anyone tip, but maybe this is something new???!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Tipping Question

Have taken tours at Mount Vernon, Monticello, Shirley, Carter's Grove, Edgewood, Patrick Henry's Red Hill, Hopsewee (in SC), Villa Louis, Ybor City Museum and Casitas tour, as well as tours of Guilford Courthouse Battle field, Battle of the Crater, Appomattox Court House, McLean House, Yorktown, Jamestown, and Williamsburg and have never tipped or ever seen anyone tip any tour guides...

What is the purpose of tipping in these circumstances?

Reply to: Plantation Tipping Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charles City
Recent Conversations