We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

Central California...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

Flying into Richmond late Wed. Oct 3 and need hotel for one night before driving to Charlottesville Thur. Oct. 4. Don't know area but would think we'd need hotel first night in the direction of C'ville. Then in C'ville Thur & Fri nite with check out Sat. From there going to Wmsburg for 1 week at timeshare. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

There are several motels/hotels right near the airport. The Courtyard Richmond Airport is one of the nicer ones. Use the search box to look for hotels in Sandston in the vicinity of the airport. Then getting to I-64 in the morning is very easy. If you wait to start out until 8:30 or so, the rush hour is pretty much over.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

I would think that staying near the airport/Richmond would be best (go with Zoey's Courtyard recommendation).

Zipping down I-64, it's not a long drive from the airport to C'ville (1-2 hours). You could drive part way (there's a brand new Best Western Inn & Suites at Zion Crossroads off I-64, with a brand new Central Virginia visitor's center) -- but being tired after flights from the West Coast, driving down I-64 in the middle of the night, during deer season, is probably not the best way to start your vacation.

charlottesville va
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

Visiting Charlottesville is a wise choice on your part. You will be able to contrast two distinct eras of our history. Williamsburg is a replica of what life was like in the decades prior to the end of British colonial rule as we entered the revolution.

Charlottesville is the home of three presidents who each served 8 year terms from the years 1801 to 1825. This was the era when the USA became the country as we know it today. Jefferson- Louisiana Purchase; Madison-a key architect of the constitution who confronted British imperialism in the war of 1812 and Monroe who established the USA as the key power in the western hemisphere. Touring their ancestral homes is quite interesting.

2 days is barely enough to do this and to visit one or more of the 20 or so wineries in the area. Then there is the Downtown Mall with over 30 restaurants of all shapes and sizes. You will not have a culinary experience like this in W'Burg.

Finally one of the best parts of C'Ville are the nearby mountain vistas of the Blue Ridge. You should consider for lodging one of the B&B's west of C'ville near the mountains . the ratings on trip advisor seem accurate

Central California...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

Thanks to everyone for the input.

5. Re: Hotel in Richmond & Charlottesville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 19:22
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville