We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B suggestions

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
B&B suggestions

Greetings from England.

We are planning a last minute (by our standards!) 9 night trip flying into Dulles on October 18th. We have three nights in DC and then another three along the eastern shore (probably St Michaels) before heading your way.

Charlottesville was suggested to us but the B&B's I glanced at seemed at bit "townie" and I came across the Mayhurst Inn in Orange which looks like it might fit the bill. It looks like it is both peaceful, not too large and a good base to explore with a couple of restaurants within a short drive. We head back to Dulles for an evening flight so could drive up Skyline Drive that day. Reviews are good although there are maybe too many "one post wonders" for my liking.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions welcome. Our budget is no more than $200 per night and we prefer smaller properties in small towns but with eating places within a short drive.

Thanks in advance.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B suggestions

I'm not familiar with the Mayhurst Inn, but Orange is a nice, quaint (albeit somewhat uninteresting) town. It isn't too far from a number of Central Virginia destinations, but isn't particularly close to any of them. If it were me, I'd try to find a B&B a bit closer to Charlottesville, as that will give you better options in the "eating places within a short drive" category, as well as the site seeing category.

In Charlottesville proper, which has a big town or small city feel to it (depending on what part you visit), I'd suggest you investigate the 200 South Street Inn. It is an easy walk from the pedestrian Downtown Mall area of Charlottesville, which has many excellent restaurants and small shops to explore. I note that there is a railroad track which runs not far from this Inn. While it isn't that heavily a travelled line, some guests have complained about this as you can hear the trains.

Outside of Charlottesville, two B&B's that I believe will meet your budget that I can recommend based on the experience of friends are the Foxfield Inn and Inn at Sugar Hollow. Both are in absolutely gorgeous settings I would describe as country, rather than small town, but both are less than 20 minute drives into Charlottesville.

Unrelated: your screen name is quite familiar to me. Is it possible you assisted me with a trip to the area around Southampton / Bath a few years back?

Edited: 04 September 2010, 18:08
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B suggestions

Thanks for this and also your comments on my DC thread.

I will investigate further tomorrow (a nice countryside setting will probably suit our last three nights) and see what is available.

It is quite likely I posted in response to your UK questions as I been posting on the London & UK forums for what seems like forever. Glad to have been of help.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B suggestions

Just to show I am as capable as the next man of ignoring the advice of experts, we have gone with The Mayhurst Inn. The Foxfield didn't appeal and the Inn at Sugar Hollow was sadly booked.

I promise to report back in due course.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B suggestions

American Historic Inns offers an option for their listed inns to choose to participate in a one free night deal. Mayhurst is amongt those that do. You'll need the book. Even better, the book now is less than half price if you get the 2010 which they need to clear away to make room for the 2011s.

I know someone who was traveling and there was no time to get the book to her home so she had it sent to her b&b and it was waiting for her when she arrived. You might consider that if you'll be leaving soon.

Someone else was actually staying at an inn for a few days and had the book express mailed to her at the inn...still much much much less than the price of a night at the inn. So a great savings.

We've stayed many places with it.

When we did it there were some inns that offered this throughout the year, some that did it weekdays, some off season, some blacked out local festival or college weekends....but I don't see those kinds of things listed at the individual places online and don't have a copy to read to you I'm afraid.

Here's their link:

store.iloveinns.com/ProductDetails.asp…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B suggestions

What a lovely idea Explorer and thanks for thinking of us. We have now booked our accommodation elsewhere and sadly it seems that they don't ship outside the US and Canada but I may well try to get hold of a copy of next years book as we could well be heading out west in the fall of 2011 on a longer trip.

Winston Salem, NC
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B suggestions

You should check out cedar spring B&B we stayed there last year and it

was superb, The owners are very gracious and know the area very well

By the way we plan to stay at the Mayhurst in October

capitol hill
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B suggestions

I just read your posting and the subsequent correspondence about your upcoming visit to central Virginia. My wife and I are big fans of the Charlottesville area as a couples getaway locale and have stayed many times in area bed and breakfasts.

Last winter my wife was searching on the internet on bed and breakfast.com she noticed that the Mayhurst Inn was listed as a Charlottesville B&B She checked out their website and was impressed. Long story short, we made a reservation without looking at google maps and understanding how far the town of Orange is from Charlottesville.

We had a very enjoyable 3-day weekend. my wife , who is from Montana, gave the inn a well deserved 5 star review. Since then we have discussed our experience and realize that for the there needs to be some clarification

for the benefit of future travelers.

First of all, the town of Orange is not a quaint town. It is a blue

collar farm town with lots of hustle bustle- farmers getting feed for their livestock ,construction guys pouring concrete,carpenters building things. This is not a bad atmosphere. we had a problem with our car and went to a service station and the mechanic made an easy fix and charged us $20. These are nice people but they are not engaged in any activity that is remotely interesting to tourists.

Regular cuisine here is an old milwaukee beer and a corn dog. Haute cuisine is a cold heineken and a corn dog. The innkeepers are concierge experts. their line is 'there are a lot of nice restaurants in the area but here are the ones you should consider". The reality is that the recommendations they gave us are the only ones in the whole area The same is basically true for historic sites We experienced everything that was of interest in one day and two evenings There is no diversity nor cultural activities.

Compare this to Charlottesville where there is a myriad of activities, ,restaurants, and historic sites to choose from. So on this trip we trekked down to Charlottesville for a day and what disaster this was.First of all what would normally be a 50- 55 minute drive turned out to be a 1 and 1 half hour drive due to a fender -bender accident on heavily congested north US 29.Then after a very enjoyable dinner with wine we had to carefully drive the hour back to orange with all the traffic on US 29. when the innkeepers discovered that we had driven to charlottesville we were coached to say how convenient it was. It wasn't, we didn't.

the end of the line here is that the mayhurst is a great choice if you want to stay in orange for a day or two or if you wish to enjoy a restored victorian mansion. But if your interest is touring the charlottesville area, mayhurst is a very poor choice because of the distances involved. and the fact that there are several B&B choices in Charlottesville where the hospitality is excellent.

We realize that this info is too late to help you ,but we hope it can help others.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B suggestions

Many thanks for taking the time to respond so candidly.

We were aware that the inn is some distance from most sights but we weren't playing on rushing around ticking them off, maybe Monticello and one other site on one day and a drive along some of the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive on the other. Looking at the map, 15 then I-64 west looks as good a way to reach Charlottesville as taking route 29 (please correct me if I'm mistaken) and I know harvest can bring out every John Deere from the last 50 years!

We did think that there were some nice restaurants reasonably close but a couple appear to be shut during the early part of the week which is a shame but as long as we don't starve then we are happy and all we need for culture in the late evenings is a beer/glass of wine and a good book . American air tends to put us sleep by 10.00pm!

Thanks again though - it is truly appreciated.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B suggestions

It shouldn't take an hour to get from Orange to Charlottesville, but I can see how it might if you take rt. 29. Your better route choices are to take Route 20 (if you like twisty roads) or to take Route 15 to Route 231 to Route 22 if you want straighter roads. Both have some very scenic stretches.

10. Re: B&B suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 08:53