We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

We are in DC 9/23 - 9/24. Then we hit the road to Charlottesville for a wedding. We would like to hit a few vineyards on our way down from DC....but as I look at the different regions/routes you can take, I'm unclear on what would be good? Any suggestions?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

There are so many great choices. Check out wwwmonticellowinetrail.com. It will list the wineries as well as the activities they are having when you are travelling through. There are many large popular wineries, but many hidden jewels as well. All have beautiful scenery.

capitol hill
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

of course you have lots of options for winery tours as you approach the Charlottesville area.I would certainly use www.monticellowinetrails.org as a reference. But there is one winery you should strongly consider and that is Stone Mountain. It's located in the foothills of the piedmont on the edge of the blue ridge mountains with breathtaking views. Not the type of views you would have in the land of 10.000 lakes And the winemaker/owner not only makes great wines but he is also a lot of fun Enjoy your trip and report back.

3. Re: DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 08:53
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

Most of the good wineries are in the greater Charlottesville area. I would just head straight down 29. I agree with some of the other posts on some of the better wineries in the area. Some of the best for the actual wine are King Family, Blenheim, Sugarleaf, Keswick, and Pollack. Ones with great places to sit and enjoy the scenery include Veritas (best location by far but wine has gone slightly downhill over the past few years but is still solid), King Family, and Pollack.

All of the ones mentioned above (other than Keswick) is either South or West of Cville so it is not on the way down.

Sweeley Estate is less than 2 miles off of 29 about 1/2 hour north of Charlottesville. Excellent tasting room. The whites are about average but their reds are some of the best in the area. Their Cab Franc, 2007 merlot and 1867 are all excellent so I would definitely hit them up on the way down.

Message me if you have specific questions

5. Re: DC to Charlottesville - Which wine trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:16