We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

Hello,

My husband and I are considering a trip to Charlottesville in October. We'd like to tour a winery or two, perhaps Monticello, and generally take in the sights.

We were first thinking of the Dinsmore House, but it is about halfway down in the ranking here on TA... so now considering The Inn at Monticello, Arcady Vineyards B & B, or Foxfields. Open to other suggestions, though!

My criteria- prefer king-sized beds, as that's what we're used to, but it's not a deal-breaker. We'd like it to be a good location to wineries, dining and other activities/sights. And not too cheesy-Victoriana in the decor. A great breakfast is a must, too. : )

Any other suggestions for things to do, we'd appreciate. Thank you.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

The Inn at Sugar Hollow, www.sugarhollow.com, and Foxfield Inn,www.foxfield-inn.com, have lovely accommodations and good reviews. There are both long and short hikes adjacent to Sugar Hollow that will be quite pretty in October. Be sure to check out our downtown pedestrian mall, www.downtowncharlottesville.net, while you are here.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

It is definitely worth your time to check out Cedar Springs Inn & Spa (www.cedarspringinn.com). While it is slightly north of Charlottesville, the amenities and the property are truly impressive. My husband and I just returned from 5 days there - we toured 9 wineries and also had a great time in Culpepper (north of Charlottesville). Over the years we have stayed in many notable properties in Charlottesville, but Cedar Spring Inn is our favorite.

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

Jumping in here, since we're looking for the same thing as OP.

But we do need a king bed (restless sleepers) and Foxfield has only queens.

NInjaqueen: Can you tell me, please, about how long a drive it is to get to CedarSpring from I-95? Are the accommodations very quiet? (One of the TA B&B reviews I read said that walls were paper thin--- can't remember which B&B..) Is the foliage really great around there? How far is it from Monticello?

Thanks!

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

OK: I looked at the Cedar Spring website and found the answer to most of my questions (sorry I hadn't checked before!)

BUT: I looked at the reviews on TA and was sorry to see a number of bad reports-- specific details which sound believable.

Now what?

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

The Inn at Sugar Hollow has king beds throughout its accommodations...the main house, the farm house I think it's called, and the Shenendoah Suite. (other sizes too.)

That is a spectacular view. Have you seen Evan Almighty? It was filmed around there and gives you a little idea. But it's got the great views all around and wonderful fall color:

http://www.sugarhollow.com/index.htm

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

Charlottesville is about 70 miles west of Richmond if that helps you (we were driving from the other direction so I am not exactly sure of the distance). We stayed in the English Library room and the bed was a king (I think most of the beds are king, as they are described on the Cedar Springs website). It is VERY quiet, as it on top of a ridge overlooking the valley. I cannot imagine there being any negatives (you can find Cedar Springs Inn under "Advance Mills, VA") and all the reviews I saw were stellar. If you wish to be in the thick of things, Fox Field has a great reputation, as does The Boars Head and Silver Thatch (we have also stayed in the last two properties). I was not impressed with Clifton so cannot recommend. Cedar Springs was full every night we stayed there and everyone loved it.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

Recent reviews on TA concerning Cedar Springs are quite excellent. There seems to be some that were not happy about having to drive to dinner because of the 2 miles or so to Route 29, so if you want to be in Charlottesville and walk the downtown mall area, you would need to be closer in. We have been to Charlottesville many, many times and stayed at Foxfield, Silver Thatch, Boarshead, etc, but wanted to do the wine country this time and found Cedar Springs to be a quiet and relaxing location for us. It is all subjective and depends on what you are wanting to do.

florida
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

I was put off by the several reports of bugs all over the place--and especially the owners' poor treatment of the guests who mentioned them.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

There were only two reports about bugs that I saw. Both from the same time period, published the same day, both from the DC area, both the only activity from each reviewer. I suspect they might be from the same couple. In any case, with all the other positive reviews that weren't from first-time reviewers, that wouldn't put me off a bit.

10. Re: First time to Charlottesville, would like some advice on b&b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 08:53
Edited: 06 July 2017, 08:53