We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving --- topic closed?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Moving --- topic closed?

I posted a question (several) regarding other users experience(s) in C-ville - can someone (TripAdvisor moderator) explain why this was closed?

Per "Community Guidelines"

-Listings that include real estate purchases, apartment rentals or similar solicitations. Exception to this rule: A discussion providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers moving or looking to move to that destination. Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even post-arrival "thanks, everyone" updates are welcome..-

Edited: 10 January 2012, 15:25
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,748 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

I think you answered your own question. "A discussion providing short-term relocation advice." Your questions addressed long-term relocation advice. The only way to know for sure is to contact TA staff. Here's a link to the Help Center: tripadvisor.com/help/why_was_my_forum_post_r…

Click on the blue "contact us" link for a form.

I'm sorry this was your welcome to the Charlottesville forum - it really is a nice place with lots to do and much natural beauty!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

Since I didn't read your posts on Charlottesville I'm not sure what to advise more specifically for your posts. But not putting "moving" in your subject line would be one key.

In the drop down box underneath each post one of the options used to be specifically something about relocating. (Now I think 'wrong forum' or 'not travel related' might handle that).

I'm not sure what the wording 'short-term relocation advice...relevant to travelers moving or looking to move [is okay]' means specifically. I do know at one time I understood it to mean it was okay to talk about living somewhere short term as opposed to permanently and as opposed to a vacation. So, for example, a seasonal rental, a 6 month rental in order to finish writing a book, a few month rental to take time off (key) and do volunteer work in the area...those seemed to go over okay. Even requests for short term rentals while looking for a permanent place...but very low key on the words 'moving' and 'relocating'...seem to have been acceptable.

I don't know that it's more specific somewhere but based on past experience with this ... the thing is TA is about travel (including short and shortish term rentals at the destination) but not about relocating as opposed to vacationing; not about moving in the sense of more permanence as opposed to moving furniture to a beach house because you like your stuff for the summer. That general idea.

It's okay to ask what to see and do along the way as you TRavel to the area where you are RElocating. It is okay to ask what is there to do in a particular area...as long as you leave it at that and don't add 'because we're going to be living there'.

Therefore, while on vacation one wouldn't generally need to ask about schools for the kiddies, home purchase prices, property taxes, neighborhoods in good school districts...to give you an overall idea.

I have also seen that www.city-data.com can be very helpful for some relocation advice and ideas.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

Oh, I know see Zoey has given you excellent advice. She seems to have read your posts.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

thanks Zoey & Explorer - I received a response from TA, it was requested to be removed by someone in the forum...

Guess I'll take my toys and go play in another sandbox!

5. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 19:35
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to convey via internet.

Thanks for your concern - I've moved on.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

By 'in the forum' it could be anyone around the world passing by who read it who was just researching Charlottesville at that momen.

In fact, I was intriqued by your word 'moving' on this topic but had not caught any of your others. Don't know if the word was in the title of others or I just was not interested at the time. But a word not supposed to be on the forum caught my eye this time and I was going to say, as many people say all over the country all over the years,...something along the lines of the usual helpful 'TA will remove this soon so just want to let you know to reword, etc.'.

Happens frequently. People don't realize. No judgement on you.

By the way, it's been my understanding that while anyone around the world can sort of flag the post via that standard drop down box below each post, TA reviews the post and then TA decides if it does indeed not meet requirements or if they should put it back on.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

I've found that the most helpful site to go to when considering moving is www.city-data.com. You can get any info you can imagine on any city. And they have forums as well. I've used it many times in my own personal moving research- it's more geared to that kind of thing. Best wishes!

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

And yes, explorer3 is right. If that's all TA told you, then they didn't own up, did they. A post is never removed 'just because' it was reported. A report alone is not sufficient, it just causes TA to take a look at it- they ultimately are still the ones to decide if it violates their own guidelines or not- so apparently they decided it did.

(Oh and I see now that explorer3 already recommended city-data.com as well. Well, here's your 2nd recommendation for it =) )

10. Re: Moving --- topic closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:28