We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

West Covina...
7 posts
Save Topic
traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

What are some suggestions for a 3 - 4 day itinerary. We will be traveling in our motorhome. Which battlefields would be best for this short visit? We enjoy photography, antiques, small towns, farmers markets, sampling local foods & wines.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

Have you explored the website for Journey through Hallowed Ground?

http://www.hallowedground.org/

It has lots of good info on the exact area you are talking about.

I can't offer specifics on motor home travel, but I'm sure others will.

West Covina...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I'm on it!

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

Since you'll be west and going north from there, a tour through the Shenandoah Valley will satisfy all of your needs. I won't offer campground advise since you probably have all those resources at hand.

My only concern is the motorhome and wineries. We have MANY great wineries in Va but most can't handle the average RV. Will you have a towable?

West Covina...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

Yes we have a towable and plan to use Charlottesville KOA as a base for 3 to 4 nights, then Bull Run County Park for 3 - 4 nights.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

That's great! Your location is perfect for visiting some great wineries, the Brew Ridge Trail (if craft beers and great food interests you) and historic sites. You'll also be a short drive to the Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.

I unfortunately have to admit there isn't much in the way of battlefields here in the Valley since we were the victims of Sherman's scorched earth policy late in the war. However, there is a restored home in Waynesboro Va. Called the Plumb House that is worth a visit and Waynesboro is a nice little town that has a few great restaurants. My favorites are The Purple Foot (lunch only and yes they sell wine) and the Green Leaf Grill.

Staunton Va is only 12 miles west and has great restaurants and shops. If small old towns interest you this city can't be missed. You can easily spent an entire day enjoying downtown.

Back east where your park is, there is Jefferson's Monticello, the City of Charlottesville and the University of Virginia. Charlottesville is another town where you can easily spend an entire day shopping, enjoying great food and taking in the sites.

I'll post some links below that will contain links to get you the info you'll need.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

http://www.visitstaunton.com/

http://www.visitwaynesboro.net/

That and Google should give you a great start.

Annandale
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

I'm not a camper but am a civil war buff.

Do I have it right that you're headed to bull run county park as in manassas? If so, i assume you're coming up Rt29 and will pass by both Cedar Mt and Brandy Station (worlds largest cavalry battle) in the Culpeper area.

An hour or so east of Culpeper is Fredericksburg and it's three battlefields -- F'burg, the Wilderness, and Chancellorsville.

Probably telling you something you already know, and don't recall your travel dates, but big 150th anniversary celebrations at the 1862 battles.

Annandale
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

I'm not a camper but am a civil war buff.

Do I have it right that you're headed to bull run county park as in manassas? If so, i assume you're coming up Rt29 and will pass by both Cedar Mt and Brandy Station (worlds largest cavalry battle) in the Culpeper area.

An hour or so east of Culpeper is Fredericksburg and it's three battlefields -- F'burg, the Wilderness, and Chancellorsville.

Probably telling you something you already know, and don't recall your travel dates, but big 150th anniversary celebrations at the 1862 battles.

Annandale
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

I don't know why my earlier post shows twice nor why it was sent at all--I'm doing this from my phone.

Spotsylvania courthouse is of course in the same vicinity as Chancellorsville and the Wilderness.

What I was going to finish with was after you leave manassas and head north... antietam/sharpsburg Maryland is not to be missed.

All in all your trip takes you through the highest concentration of multiple major battlefields I can think of.

If you wanted to start two hours west of Charlottesville you've go Appomatox Court House

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
759 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

We just purchased the Journey Through Hallowed Ground paperback book and used it to drive the route you're planning to take. Everything took much longer than we anticipated, as far as historic places, so we didn't get to see as much as we had planned. You also have to count on all the sites closing at 5 pm, so you have a small window to visit. We stayed in Charlottesville and did Monticello and Montpelier in one day. We also went to the University of VA there to see the dome and the campus as Jefferson planned it. Then we spent a night in Orange and visited the museum in town, and headed up to Mount Vernon. If you're interested, we also spent a day at Virginia Military Institute and did the museum, Marshall museum, and visited Stonewall Jackson's burial place in the church at Washington & Lee College.

When you go to Gettysburg, it's really helpful to have a tourguide. We had someone drive our car and talk. It was a 3 hour trip. You get so much more out of it. If you are there in July, there will be reenactments and some additional events...even more in 2013.

West Covina...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling Charlottesville to Gettysburg this summer

Thank you all for all the great suggestions, info, & links. I thought I had planned enough time in the area, but there is obviously so much more to see. We've adjusted our itinerary to begin at Appromatox, then on to Charlottesville. Then up through Culpeper to Bull Run and on to Gettysburg with stops along the way. Thanks for the reminder that things take longer than anticipated. We will get an early start on each day. We'll also look for the book. I called and arranged for a personal tour guide at Gettysburg. Will have to do research on the Virginia Military Institute. Added a day trip from Gettysburg to Antietam & Harpers Ferry. What, no link for the Brew Ridge Trail?! Hopefully Goggle will have it mapped :-) Thanks again to all of you. Nancy P.