We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

Will be traveling by amtrak. Will have layover from about 3:00 pm til 9:00 pm and would like to know what is close by to do, and what resturants are near.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

There is a bar called Wild Wing Cafe attached to the train station. Great Wings and a nice rooftop bar.

You are within walking distance of UVA, which is nice to tour and see Thomas Jefferson's creation.

The other direction, also walking distance is the downtown mall, a pedestrian only section of Main st. with lots of shops and restaurants.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

6 hours is a lot of time! Across W. Main St. from Wild Wings is Bella's, a family style Italian restaurant. and if you take a right down W. Main St., you will will run into Zinc, bistro French, and further on down- a little set of stores that includes, Orzo- Mediterranean, and Feast - gourmet take out, including sandwiches. You can pick up the free trolley (www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=2548)along W. Main to visit UVA campus or to go to the Downtown Pedestrian Mall (www.downtowncharlottesville.net).

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

Thank you, this is very helpful. Yes, 6 hrs. is a lot of time, but anyone that has riden Amtrak knows it can be shortened very quickly. How long does it take to take the trolley around it's route? We will be coming in from Chicago going to NC. We've been to DC Union Sta many times and thought we'd check out Charlottesville this time. Good Idea??

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

yes, i think it's a good idea if you have already been to D.C. and don't have a strong inclination to return for this trip. And especially if you have any interest in walking around UVa grounds and stopping inside Jefferson's Rotunda for a quick self-guided and free tour. stopping for dinner somewhere and walking around the downtown mall would easily eat up the rest of your time in Cville. (if anything, you might have trouble fitting all this in in a six hour layover.) But in any case Cville would be a lot more manageable for a 6 hour layover than D.C.

as for the free trolley, i have never taken it all the way through one complete loop. i would guess it would take just under an hour - not a bad way to see a bunch of the downtown mall and campus. The trolley comes by every 15 minutes or so, I think, during the day, so what you could do is walk from the train station to UVa, walk around a bit, then take the free trolley to the DT mall, or just walk it. UVa grounds and the downtown mall are just one mile apart, and the train station lies roughly half-way between the two, right on Main Street, which is the road that connects UVa to the DT Mall. And as others have noted, there are a lot of restaurants on that walk down Main Street from UVa to the DT Mall you can stop for dinner at on the way.+

Edited: 24 July 2012, 15:45
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

I want to say that the full loop of the trolley is about 45 minutes. You can hop on and hop off at any stop if you do want to get off and explore Grounds (UVA) or the Downtown Mall. If you are a foodie exploring Feast which was mentioned above is a treat; small, but great stuff.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

The trolley is typically a 40 minute ride if you don't get off, but with the detour around the McCormick Bridge, it may take a little longer. It doesn't run on Sundays. It will stop directly in front of the UVA Rotunda.

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

I think it looks like it may be a sunday when we are there. Other than no shuttle, does that change anything else being available? Are there other inepensive ways to get around?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

I'm sorry, there is no Sunday NIGHT service. The last trolley leaves the Downtown station at 5 PM and returns at 5:42. Walking to the Downtown Pedestrian Mall or to UVA is about 3/4 mi to each.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

it being a sunday doesn't affect much. the biggest thing is that some of the restaurants and shops might be closed, but the majority will still be open during normal hours. most stuff at UVa will still be available, like the libraries, the Rotunda, etc. which are all open 7 days a week. (And I would strongly recommend walking around the lawn and the Rotunda and taking either a guided tour, which meets several times a day in the Rotunda, or a self-guided tour and just walk around and look at everything. It's pretty cool and all free.) And as laura stated above, the free trolley only runs til 5:42 on Sundays.

as for other inexpensive ways to get around, if you are only going to be travelling from the train station to UVa and the downtown mall, you don't need to worry about it. You can always walk it, and if you're ready for a break, you can take a cab btwn UVa and the DT mall for under ten bucks, including tip.

What i would recommend is first walking from the train station to UVa, going straight to the Rotunda before it closes, then walking around grounds down the Lawn and outdoor amphitheater and libraries, then back down to the Corner with all the student restaurants and shops and bars, and then towards the downtown mall. there will literally be dozens and dozens of restaurants open on sunday nights that you'll pass by on the way. just stop in whatever place looks good.

10. Re: Amtrak 6 Hour Layover, what is close?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17