We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

Concord, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

Is US Route 15/29 a scenic route? What kind or road is it? Are there a lot of traffic lights, for example?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

It starts getting scenic south of Centreville. Before that it is mostly suburbs, with many traffic lights. If you're looking for scenic, I suggest taking I-66 out to Centreville, and then getting on Rt 29 there for a very pleasant ride to Charlottesville.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

I second that.

Concord, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

Wow. Thanks much. I expected that to take a couple of days!

I'm new to Trip Advisor. Would it be out of bounds to ask for a lodging & eating recommendations and anything else to see in Charlottesville?

Last time I was there was about 1970!

My wife and I plan to spend about a day and a half around April 9 & 10. Following that, we'll be going to Williamsburg for about a week.

Mentioned in this post
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
340 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

sure, but it might help to know more specifics of what you're looking for and like to do. would you rather stay downtown at a nice hotel walking distance to the restaurants and night life, or the best hotel for the buck a short drive from downtown and UVa, or prefer a quieter B&B type place closer to the country? what types of restaurants do you like?

as for what to do in town, the big options are visit Monticello, walk around UVa grounds and the Rotunda, walk around the downtown mall with all the great restaurants and shops and music venues. there's also great wine tasting, breweries, and hiking trails in the surrounding area,

Edited: 14 February 2013, 16:27
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

The last time my husband and were in Charlottesville, my husband and I stayed in the English Inn (a hotel, despite the name). It's not downtown, but the prices were reasonable, the rooms large and updated, and the free breakfast better than most. It has a large indoor pool (some hotel indoor pools are pretty tiny) which we enjoyed. It was also next to a great local bagel place (the name escapes me) where we had sandwiches one afternoon.

I would also recommend the Presidents' Pass, which is a ticket that gives you admission to Monticello, Ash Lawn, and the Michie Tavern. You don't have to do all three attractions on the same day. We went to Monticello one morning, had a late lunch at the Michie Tavern, and then went back to the hotel to enjoy the pool. We saw Ash Lawn the next day, then walked around UVA and the downtown mall afterward.

Mentioned in this post
Michie Tavern
Michie Tavern
1,123 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

Be sure to adhere to posted speed limits on 29. It's infamous for police nabbing speeders. For lodgings in Charlottesville, I would look into Keawick Hall, the Clifton Inn and the Boars Head Inn. There's also an Omni on the downtown mall.

Mentioned in this post
Clifton Inn
Clifton Inn
166 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
orange
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

1, Certainly take Rte 66 and then Rte 29 down to Charlottesville.

2. If you enjoy ice cream, stop at the Moo-thru at the intersection of Rte 28 & Rte 29.

3. Go online and research The Journey Through Hallowed Ground. You will be traveling the "Journey" and there is so much to explore along the way.

4. The little town of Orange is off the beaten path but has James Madison's newly restored Montpelier home, the place he conceived and researched the Constitution. It also has some great restaurants and award winning Bed and Breakfasts.

5. Don't forget to stop at Barboursville Winery, one of the largest and oldest wineries in Virginia. Oh, and their wine is fantastic.

6. The drive to and away from Orange is scenic and undisturbed by the housing developments that dot the landscape throughout the rest of the region. It is mostly farms, Civil War sites and a number of horse farms that dot the landscape. It's the kind of drive you lose all track of time and who cares how long it takes.

Mentioned in this post
Montpelier
Montpelier
Virginia
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

There are some great places to stay in Charlottesville. Depending on your budget and what you think you will be doing there are all kinds of choices from bed and breakfasts and little inns to budget-minded motels to hotels. The first one that always comes to mind is the Omni on the downtown mall. Location is great because you can walk right outside to restaurants and shops on the pedestrian mall and a stop for the free trolley is right outside. If you are more interested in the University and college atmosphere you might want to look at hotels on "The Corner". I don't know the timetable for construction but you might want to check on the progress they are making on the Hyatt House at the new Stonegate Mall. It is on Rt 29 and not downtown but will have suites and it is pretty centrally located. There are lots of other places at all budget levels along Rt. 29.

As far as restaurants, there is a little of just about anything (we don't have Ethiopian and a few other ethnic restaurants but the choices for a place this size are really quite good). What types of places do you like? A few suggestions include Bella's (Italian place on West Main. Really good food, nice place.). Aqui es Mexico is in a mall and not a "nice" place at all, but a family owned Mexican place that has really good food. There are actually a couple other taco places that are just great. Orzo is really good, also on West main. On the downtown mall there is everything from great burgers (my fav is one of the specialty burgers at Positively 4th, I order the cheese grits as a side- it is like creamy polenta with mascarpone), Good italian (Sals), Great dumplings and sesame noodles (Marco and Luca's), good casual fare (both the Nook and Eppie's) and good casual sandwich places. For desserts/ sweets my favorites are Splendora (gelato), Cappelino's (cupcakes Tues-Sat from 10-6pm) and Paradox Pastry (amazing sweets and baked goods but also lunch/ light dinner options and you can get a glass of wine or a beer to go with). Bodo's has honestly good bagels and bagel sandwiches (there are a few locations, one near downtown, one on 29 and one at the Corner). Lots of good breakfast/ brunch places, too.

I've probably given more info than you are looking for; I suggest checking out the reviews of restaurants and yelp. If you click on my profile I've tried to review places in the area. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Hope you have an amazing trip. We were driving through some of the roads around Keswick the other day and I was thinking how nice this area is to come vacation here. So much to do both historically and culturally.

Mentioned in this post
West Main
West Main
42 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
The Nook
The Nook
352 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Eppie's
Eppie's
46 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Paradox Pastry
Paradox Pastry
41 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Keswick
Keswick
Virginia
9. Re: Driving route between Alexandria and Charlottesville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 07:15