We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Hello all. My wife and I are planning to use Amtrak for future trips to Baltimore and DC. As the station in our town (Lynchburg) does not have parking available (???), we plan to drive to Charlottesville and park and ride from there. Does anyone have knowledge about the parking situation there? The Amtrak website shows that they have 165 overnight parking spots, but I could not find any other info. Do you have to pay? Is it a safe lot? Does it fill up to capacity often? I'd hate to buy our tickets, drive up there and run into problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice! We look forward to exploring "The Hook" too!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Are you certain about no parking in Lynchburg? I haven't been to the Amtrak station there, but the website indicates there is parking - 10 short-term (not overnight) and 35 long-term (overnight).

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

I'm not sure of cost, etc. But there is a large lot for the Amtrak station in C'ville. If you need to kill some time there are some great restaurants very close as well.

Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Thanks Zoey and cloesmom! I'm not sure why several people told that there was no parking in Lynchburg. But they were locals, so I assumed they were right. Perhaps the lot just often gets filled up. Either way, we will give the C'ville lot a try. It really seems like it is a great town for restaurants and entertainment.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

The last time I parked there overnight (1 1/2 yrs ago), it was $8/day and I had to pay in advance with cash. It's a large lot, but given the amount of activity down there into the early AM hours, I would try to park as close as possible to the station, next to a light pole.

Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Thanks laura va. I guess $8/day is not bad, so long as the car is safe there. I'll take our older car, just to be smart about it.

Nellysford...
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

The parking fee was $5 a day when I first used it several years ago. It was $8 when someone last posted here. And it is now $10.

Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

Yes SwamiPete. We used the lot in Charlottesville last Fall. They had plenty of spaces and it seemed fairly safe. But on our last visit they still were using a bizarre old-fashioned paper system. You had to know the day you were returning and stuff a tiny mailbox with a form and cash (only) to cover the cost, prior to leaving. Amtrak travelers should remember to bring enough cash to cover the parking fee (and a pen to fill out the form). Amtrak always seems to be 50 years behind the times. How about a gate and credit/debit card machine?!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

The parking system has been updated (as of Feb 2014) and now you can use a card to pay. Just be sure to park first, note the number of your space and then go to the machine to get your pass.. Yes, you do need to know the date of your return and it is still a bit confusing but the machine will print a ticket you put on your dash The lots feels safe because when a train is expected there is usually a big crowd around.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

I parked at the Charlottesville Amtrak station about a week ago. You don't have to put the ticket on your dash; you can keep it with you. Because you input your space number into the machine, the system knows that the space is paid for, and when it expires. I asked inside the station because I wasn't sure, and that's what the attendant told me. I was parked there for about an hour, not days, however, but I think it's the same system.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at C'ville Amtrak station?

They also have this odd thing where you can call and extend your stay. This is what we did when we went to China last year as we took the train to NYC and parked in the lot. There's a maximum of a 10 day stay but since we were going to be gone for 14 days you could renew by phone. The whole thing was really wonky though because whenever we called it seemed like it wasn't working as we entered info and then it disconnected. We never got the additional charge. Hopefully they've got that worked out. In the end, we got back, got an envelope on the dash and sent them a check. Mischief managed.