We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Monticello from SNP

Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Monticello from SNP

Greetings! My husband and I plan to visit SNP for 2 nights, staying at either Big Meadows or Skyland along the Skyline Drive, as part of a week-long road trip from northern Illinois. We want to visit Monticello as well. Given the limitations of access, winding roads and 45-mph speed limit on Skyline Drive, would it still be feasible to visit Monticello as a day trip from SNP? Or would it make more sense to find lodging somewhere closer to Charlottesville, knowing that we could easily spend a good chunk of the day at Monticello? (I'll re-post this in the SNP forum.) Thanks for any suggestions!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Monticello from SNP

I don't think you'll spend most of the day at Monticello, although you may spend all day in Charlottesville. I would only drive the Skyline one way and choose an alternate like hwy 29 the other way back. I've visited Monticello from Williamsburg and then camped in SNP that evening, but really only had time for Monticello and a short hike that day.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Monticello from SNP

This would work out to be a good day trip. It should probably take around 2 hours to drive from Big Meadow Lodge to Charlottesville via Skyline Drive. Plan to spend around 2- 3 hours at Monitcello, depending on house tour times, any additional tours you do and how much time you want to spend walking around the grounds. As CTDesign says, you may want to spend additional time in Charlottesville, too.

FYI: The speed limit in Shenandoah National Park is 35 miles per hour, not 45 mph.

Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Monticello from SNP

Thanks, Longhorn & TCDesign, especially for the speed limit correction! The way it sounds, & given that we will take our time at Monticello but also want to hike at SNP, we probably will do a separate overnight at Charlottesville after visiting SNP.

4. Re: Getting to Monticello from SNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville