We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Could anyone give your advice on rental companies? My husband and I are celebrating our 31 wedding anniversary and we have never been to Chincoteague. We are looking for a spot with a view of the water and a dock for fishing and crabbing. We love to cook so hoping we can catch a little and cook it.

We are planning on July 28 for a week. I would love for any rental company or individual to respond. Nothing too fancy, this why we are drawn to such an island.

Thanks so much,

Knoxville TN

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

We rented Songbird. Nice, larger than I expected. Good amenities but no dishwasher. In Oyster Bay II, I think, so it was quiet and secluded but not too isolated.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

That is a nice property with alot of room for family gatherings. But I agree a dishwasher would of been nice. It's hard to find nice properties in the peak season. I looked at that last week while finallizing the plans for the vacation. We did finally speak to a member of the Pennsylvania Board of Education and we can now go without fear of illegal absences for our 5 year old son in kindergarden.

What I liked about this house was the Screened back porch which looks inviting in the morning with a cup of hot coffee and book to read while listening to sweet sounds of those songbirds.

I think the pictures should include a picture of the lake. We arer staying on Fiddler's bay in Assesteague overlook which is a great rate with spectacular views for $700.00 /Wk-OFF SEASON RATE.

What did you enjoy the most on the islands? How was the crabbing this year? We have a crab cage and we enjoy the eastside of the island where brash water is located for the best crabbing. We caught lots of crabs 2 years ago.

Did you go on the nature tour on asseateague island? It is great and educational also.

Did you buy seafood and where? Did you stop at gary Howard's seafood on Deep Hole Road where your house was located?

Hope you will go back again and enjoy yourselves in the future.

Simply,

Devine

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Actually one of the pictures does show the driveway, and the lake is on beyond that in the picture.

We don't crab, at least not yet. We bought seafood (fresh oysters and freshly steamed crab) at the seafood place next to the Fresh Pride Market. It was wonderful!

I would have liked the nature tour, but we just had so much to do, including lots of r & r!

The house we were in is actually off Main and Hibiscus. There is a break in Hibiscus, and you can't get to the Deep Hole side from there. It picks up again on the Deep Hole side.

We went to Tangier Island one day, and to the Maryland side of Assateague another. We saw people crabbing up there, with the chicken parts and string, but no catches.

I thought our rate was good, especially for pony week. Next time we go, though, I want to leave our pets at home and stay in a hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Will you be going to attend any of the Godspeed weekend Sept 13th -16th? We will be in Chincoteague and driving to Onancock Harbor Friday & Saturday. We will be staying 6 days for vacation. WE HAD TO CUT IT A DAY SHORT !!! Well that's life, since a show production for work in New York City pays the bills we have no choice but to leave a day early.

We booked a waterfront condo named"Assateague Lookout"along the east side of the island in area refered to Fiddler Bay on 7200 Fiddler Bay Lane -Unit #11 which is off of East Side Road. This is a creekside waterfront along the Assategue Channel directly across from the lighthouse. Since we have a 5 year old son whom can swim the water level here is still very shallow at the private crabbing pier and we feel comfortable for his safety at this location compared to deep water docks or waterfronts.

I was nervous to book with Harbor rentals since I read negative comments on tripadvisor by two other members. To avoid such problems I sent a Bank cashier's check with delivery comfirmation from the post office. I indeed received a notice of confirmation of payment rapidly from Harbors rentals as well as my contract. The rental agent has been most helpful and accomendating to our needs. I did mention the negative comments which I read on this site and they assurred me they will give me excellent customer service and accomendations.

The Condo has fantastic views as well as a chef kitchen and especially important along the waterfront Assateague channel is a

screened porch for protection from insects which I must admit has greatly decreased from my first visit in 1989.

Hope you take a weekend trip to visit Onancock Harbor during the Godspeed weekend.

Simply,

Devine

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

I'll be out of the state for that weekend - otherwise it sounded fabulous! Also, the Storyteller's Festival is at Colonial Williamsburg that weekend - and I'm sure there are others things I'm not mentioning. I'm sure you'll enjoy your week, well, 6 days!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

A follow-up on my rental. We used Island Property Enterprises and were very pleased all around. From December/January when I started looking at properties, to questions I had before we arrived, the actual stay, and getting our deposit refunded, there were no problems and everything was handled very well. I would definitely rent from them again!

Massanutten
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Simply Divine--If you are talking about Baywatch Cottage on the northern end of the island, STAY AWAY! We rented last year during the month of October (off season) and had a lovely time, but when I tried to reserve the cottage for this October, I had nothing but trouble. First I got the run around from the owners because they would not allow me to reserve it for a miniweekend prior to two weeks in advance. Then, after they made me wait until the last minute to make the reservation, they jacked up the price to $247.50 a night! That's $800 for three days! I don't know if the owners thought they could nickel and dime me or if they had someone else who was interested, but NO THANK YOU! We found another house through Island Properties that is one street over (Wildcat), is waterfront, has a screened porch and a jacuzzi---All for only $605. When businesses start taking advantage of loyal customers, it is time to pack it up!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

Thankyou for the warning. I never rented at the refuge Inn which seems list this cottage on their website as well as the owners personal website. I always stayed away from the refuge Inn since many years ago they were the top place to stay and it seems they hardly ever updated or renovated the facilities to my standards and they charge a large sum of money for average accomendations. I feel they live on their old reputation from the 60's & 70's when they were the upscale hotel...those days have passed. We truly enjoyed our waterfront condo on FiddlerBay directly across from the lighthouse on the east side of the island off of eastside Road. The photos I took were spectacular. For the off season rate of $700 /week is was great and the prime season rate is only $850/week which is great.

The private crabbing and fishing piers were great. There were 3 piers as well as a ramp which declines into the the bayside creeks for kayaks and they are only for the use of Fiddler bay tentants. if you fish on these private piers you do not need a fishing liscense either as long as you are on a private pier. I hope we can return next year.

Simply,

Devine

Mentioned in this post
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
1,060 Reviews
Chincoteague Island, VA
19. Re: Rental company? Please help. Week rental with water view.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island