We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Chincoteague!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Chincoteague!

This spring, my husband visited Chincoteague on a fishing trip--and said that he thought I would really enjoy it, and that we should visit to see if we'd like to stay there sometime. So we're coming down to Chincoteague for a day trip (Saturday) at the end of our previously scheduled OC trip.

We all love Assateague, so we plan to visit the VA District. What else should we plan to do to get the essence of the area? (Sometimes when we just drive around, we miss the best spots!) What special places should we visit? Our 2 boys, 12 and 6, both love science and nature, and we enjoy poking around places and discovering wildlife. Any nice and lower-cost places to eat lunch?

Your help is greatly appreciated--I love looking around at new places!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

With boys interested in science & nature, visit the NASA facility on Wallops Island. There were two rocket launches today, and one July 1, but even if there are no launches on the schedule, they'll still enjoy it. If you have time for a boat cruise around Assateague, you'll see a lot of nature - in particular birds and the ponies, but you may spot dolphin or other creatures, it's hard to predict that.

If you are coming in July, the carnival that benefits the Island's volunteer fire department will be going on. Love the oyster fritter sandwiches there. That may be just evening hours (5 p.m. onwards).

If there is interest in the ponies, the Pony Centre is a must-see. We saw one of Misty's descendants and her foal, just two weeks old, the last week of June.

We ate lunches in most of the time, so I can't recommend anything for lunch. But stop for ice cream - I like Island Creamery the most.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

Thanks so much for your reply! I just read the Washington Post article about Wallops Island; it sounds like a place the boys would like to see. And thanks for the ice cream suggestion.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

Our downtown on Main St. is also really nice - there's a waterfront park and lots of little shops for exploring. Be sure to look for Misty's hoofprints in the sidewalk in front of the movie theater. There's also a great Chincoteague Island museum right before the entrance to Assateague - they've got a Misty exhibition all summer to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the movie. I'll bet you stay longer next time!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

The downtown park would be to my left as we enter town, right? It looks as if there is another small park further down Main St, past Lewis St--is that worth a stop?

As I look at the map, it looks as if a trip along Main St. would cover most of the sights. Any other good roads to check out? Any great places for possible (modest, 2-bedroom) 2012 rentals?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

No, it's on the right. The old bridge was closed and a new one opened in 2010. The new bridge takes you to Maddox where it intersects with Main.

The little downtown park is at about Mumford and Main, and that's where the Misty sculpture is. I'm not sure what you're looking at near Main and Lewis.

Main, Maddox, Chicken City/Ridge Road, Deep Hole, etc. all good streets for exploring in your car. Check out the tiny Captain Chandler cemetary at the far end of North Main. Stop by the Pony Centre.

We used Chincoteague Resort Realty; on their website you can do a search for the kind of rental you'll want.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

Robert Reed Park would be to the right of the new bridge - not sure what map you're looking at, but our new drawbridge opened last year. As you come off it, if you go straight, you will be on Maddox Blvd. (Beach Road) and you will pass the Chamber of Commerce and hit the Assateague Refuge and the beach. Most of the historic downtown is to the left of the bridge on Main Street. Not sure what park you're thinking of by Lewis Street - maybe the Little League field? The second waterfront park on the island is Veterans' Memorial Park which is just off of East Side Drive (by Ridge Road). This is near where the ponies swim across and there are swings and a nice picnic area. We also have lovely wooded walk off Hallie Whealton Drive, perfect for a nice run or bike ride.

As for vacation rentals, I'd suggest you try one of the many realtors on the island - or look at the Chincoteague Island Vacation Rental section here on Trip Advisor. Have a great trip!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

Oh, that's good to know! It must be a weird little glitch. When I click on the map at the main Chincoteague Tourism page here on TA, it shows what must be the old way into town, right across the little island. Once I went to Google Maps, I saw the new bridge.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm looking forward to the trip.

8. Re: One day in Chincoteague!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 14:16